Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this iMac fast enough?

Currently I am working with a MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008) with 4GB of ram.

Its not entirely fast but is managable when working with HD footage since I replaced the standard hard drive in it with an SSD hard drive. The problem is, certain effects take forever! I got mLogo2, found here,and even rendering a 4 second logo with it in Final Cut X's latest version, can be a good 5-10 minute render.

Its totally unacceptable.

Right now, a microcenter near me, is selling

iMac 27 inch, MD096LL/A

i5 Quad Core 3.2ghz

Mac OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion

8 GB DDR3-1600 Ram

1 TB 7200 SATA Drive

Nvidia GeForce GTX 675MX (1 GB GDDR5 Video Memory)

It's $1,999.99 and currently you get $400 dollars off that instantly brand new.

I definitely like it but I want to know, does anyone working in Final Cut think I'll see a big difference in my render time upgrading to this? I assume I should but I wondered if anyone personally was working with this system and could say for certain.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 6:47 AM

3 replies

Jun 24, 2013 8:49 AM in response to Nick Holmes

Well that I figured. :) And I also plan to upgrade it eventually to 32gb, but I wondered if it was worth saving for a fusion drive or waiting to see if iMacs even got a Haswell bump at sometime in the near future too?

The main question I wondered was if anyone ha used this exact machine with FCPX and could give their impressions?

Is this iMac fast enough?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.