Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to resolve iTunes Error -42408

Initially I called up Apple Tech Support to ask what the iTunes error -42408 was & no one was able to tell me.

I absolutely loathe & detest the iTunes 11 versions & when the first version 11 came out I went back to version 10.8.7

While the downgrading was succesful, everytime I open iTunes this error appears

Sometime later when I tried to buy a music album from the iTunes store, I then found out that the error prevents me from making a purchasing.

Obviously the relevant iTunes Store plugin or preference or whatever it is, is somehow missing which prevents me for making a purchase.

I want know how to resolve this issue - either with an appropriate plugin or whatever is missing that is preventing a purchase.

If that is no longer available how can I get round making a purchase but not through iTunes?

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 2:25 PM

You need to update to the latest version of iTunes to fix the problem.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3258

10 replies

Jun 25, 2013 5:36 AM in response to Mystic444

Have you read the document that Neil pointed to?

If your iTunes is missing resources or encountering software conflicts, error -42404 or -42408 may appear when authenticating or downloading from the iTunes Store.

The error signifies, that iTunes is missing ressources, and this will usually be repaired by reinstalling iTunes.

When you downgraded, you must have messed up the iTunes installation. How exactly did you downgrade to iTunes 10.8.7?

To get back to that version, you will need to reinstall a MacOS X version that comes with iTunes 10.8.x, to get a consistent system, or bite the bullet and learn to live with with iTunes '11 and update.

Regards

Léonie

Jun 25, 2013 7:14 AM in response to léonie

Thanks Leonie

Yes I did look at the article...I have Snow Leopard though.

And I don't know how I could have 'messed up' the installation of the older version.

I discussed my options with someone at Apple at the time & we both agreed the best thing to do was to uninstall iTunes 11, save all my music to my external HD & install 10.8.7

And yes I have installed iTunes from the original Snow Leopard DVD as well donwloading it from a website. Didn't help.

Everything worked... & still does, except for the error msg which I recently discovered means the resource or plug-in for making a purchase through the iTunes store is missing.

At the time no one at Tech Support could tell me what resource was missing but now I know what's missing surely it is available...somewhere. I really don't understand why it wasn't part of 10.8.7 when I downloaded it.

Thanks again for the suggestions

Jan 10, 2015 8:29 PM in response to Mystic444

Hi. I just had this error (-42408) occur and I logged out of my iTunes account, restarted my computer, logged back in, and updated my account information and the Sync worked. Everything is syncing and working again. No errors. So it seems, you just need to re-authenticate your iTunes account...it also said that I needed to confirm my payment method.

Also, I just got the new iPhone 6 today and it made me upgrade my iOS and iTunes, which is when I experienced this error. Hope this helps.

Jan 30, 2015 2:03 PM in response to housemac

it says missing or conflict so I wonder if the issue is that just dumping the itunes app isn't enough to downgrade. You have to dig out all the prefs etc from the newer version. I tried to downgrade for various reasons and I get the error and videos won't play. So I'm wondering if I missed a file. I'm going to do a thorough search and try again

How to resolve iTunes Error -42408

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.