Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I installed OS X 10.8.4 need to go back 10.8.3

I installed 10.8.4 on my Intel Mac Pro 5 now I need to go back to 10.8.3 so my Pro Tools will work.

I downloaded 10.8.3 but it won't let me install or downgrade and I didn't make a backup.

Any way around this?

My Avid pro tools won't run on !0.8.4

Thanks for any help.

Roc

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 12:29 PM

11 replies

Jun 24, 2013 2:16 PM in response to GuyPicks

The system hack offered is mostly about faking an UPdate, not reverting. Try at your own risk, but be prepared to bork your system.

Where/how did you download 10.8.3? It is no longer available at the app store.

Technically, you cannot "downgrade" unless you:

a) have a bootable backup from a previous version, and

b) erase the hard drive.

That is is only safe and simple method.

Having said that, IF your Mac came with ML, you can try internet recovery (Command + OPtion + R at bootup or restart) which should reinstall the original OS version, but you also must first wipe the drive. After that, the original ML version should be reinstalled (disclaimer: on some tests, the app store reinstalled the current ML version, so the method is not foolproof).

Jun 25, 2013 7:56 AM in response to GuyPicks

Have you tried the internet recovery option? Once in that mode, you can use its Disk Utility to wipe the drive; however, as I said, I do not know which OS version it will install after that (not knowing which build your machine came with, etc). It is supposed to install the original OS, i.e. if it came with 10.7.2, that is what it should install, but during testing, it also sometimes installed the latest version 10.7.5.

Jun 25, 2013 8:47 AM in response to Csound1

It installs the latest point release of the OSX version originally installed. So if the Mac came with Lion you'll get 10.7.5, Mountain Lion and it's 10.8.4.

Yes - it usually does although sometimes it has not - can't rely on it 100%, but mostly it's the latest version, which, in this case, is not what the OP wants.

Jun 25, 2013 8:54 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

It installs the latest point release of the OSX version originally installed. So if the Mac came with Lion you'll get 10.7.5, Mountain Lion and it's 10.8.4.

Yes - it usually does although sometimes it has not - can't rely on it 100%, but mostly it's the latest version, which, in this case, is not what the OP wants.

I haven't seen that behaviour but (in this case) it doesn't matter, the OP had a ProTools issue which he/she has fixed.

I installed OS X 10.8.4 need to go back 10.8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.