Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility "Couldn't unmount disk" in Recovery Mode

Hello, everyone. I'm dealing with a 15" MacBook Pro (April 2010) which seems to be unwilling to reformat its own hard drive. After several issues, the hard drive started giving the "Incorrect number of threads" error when Disk Utility's Repair Disk was run from within the Recovery Partition, after which, the computer refused to boot normally, going through a 'status bar' for a long time before shutting itself down.

I booted from the Recovery Partition once again, and attempted to have the OS X Mountain Lion installer format the hard drive, only for the existing boot partition to not show up in the drive choices menu. I then opened up Disk Utility once again, selected the hard drive (the main boot partition is greyed out in the side menu), and clicked Erase. The process started, with the diagonally-scrolling progress bar sitting at the "Unmounting disk" status for several minutes, only for an error to pop up reading "Disk Erase failed with the error: Couldn't unmount disk." Any further attempts to erase the drive resulted in the same error popping up instantly.

I rebooted the computer back into Recovery Mode, tried again, only for the process to repeat itself (albeit with thick gray vertical bars appearing on the screen, and a square made up of thinner gray horizontal lines appearing next to the mouse cursor, during the initial unmounting process!). Is there any way of saving this drive, or this Mac? Thanks in advance.

-Adam

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 2:01 PM

9 replies

Jun 24, 2013 2:05 PM in response to AdamAnt316

You have hardware problems.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Jun 24, 2013 6:09 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that. I was originally intending the message to just be about the "Couldn't unmount disk" issue, and then the gray bars and lines spontaneously appeared as I was typing about the second attemp to erase the disk! Any idea what might be the cause of that issue? I'm guessing it's the graphics chip, since I've seen issues with them cause weird display issues before.

Also, can the existing hard drive be salvaged? As I said, the original boot partition is greyed out in Disk Utility, doesn't show up in the OS X installer, and Disk Utility has been unable to mount it for the disk erase process. Might that have been because of the recovery partition? I figured that Disk Utility would at least be able to re-format the main partition, and know enough to leave the recovery partition alone, but this experience has me wondering. Once again, thanks!

-Adam

Jun 24, 2013 6:23 PM in response to AdamAnt316

As the recovery partition is in fact part a hidden partition on the hard drive you are trying to reformat, this can sometimes create the behavior you describe. While there is definitely a problem, you could be lucky and just have a case of messed up formatting.

See if you can boot from another media like an external hard drive with a system clone or a USB drive with an OS X installer on it. Then from there, run disk utility again and see if it allows you to reformat. If no external boot drives are available then you can also try Internet recovery which basically loads the recovery partition from Apple's server (slow process). To do this, boot your Mac holding down the Command and R keys simultanously. I dont know if this will default to the local recovery partition or force an internet connection, maybe Linc can clarify.

If the greyed out partition still has it's original name (like Macintosh HD) it may not be as serious, if the greyed out partition has a weird name that is not one you set then it may be more severe. Either way, as mentioned, prepare for a Genius Bar visit but try reformatting from another media first as it gives unrestricted access to the internal drive. This has a 20-30% success rate in my experience.

Jul 9, 2014 5:41 PM in response to AdamAnt316

This thread hasn't been posted in in a while, but I just wanted to add that when I erased the disk selecting the zero out option, it let me erase it. However, when I simply selected erase, I kept getting the couldn't unmount error. Really strange, but I thought I'd share in case any one else googles this problem and needs solutions! This worked for me.

Aug 31, 2014 8:59 AM in response to greyrainbow

Thank you for that post. I had a similar problem with a friends MBP, started from recovery to erase and reinstall, in my case just erase worked out. Interesting your case, good to know.

And when working on my own MBP in Target Mode, the solution to can't unmount was to put the disk in Spotlight of the accessing Mac into the Private Sphere of Spotlight preferences, so the background indexing did not avoid the unmount.

Disk Utility "Couldn't unmount disk" in Recovery Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.