Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp does nothing :(

I used to use Boot Camp on my old 2009 Macbook Pro and it worked a charm. I think I used an older version of Boot Camp with Snow Leopard when I originally set up the partion etc and used a Windows 7 DVD to install it.

Anyway, I am now the proud but frustrated owner of a late 2012 iMac 27" with 1 tb Fusion drive.

I followed the Boot Camp instructions and made an ISO out of the Windows 7 DVD and downloaded the latest software updates and also checked the option to install Windows 7 or greater.

So far so good...

The partition screen:

Basically when I get to the slider I select, for example, 150gb of space for Windows and have 300gb spare for Mac. I then click install.

I click install.

I click install.

No matter how many times I click install NOTHING happens. Well the install button looks like it's getting pressed but apart from that. Nothing. No error message, so whirring of hard drive, no loading not nothing.

What's up with that?

I don't even know where to turn with this issue and can't find anyone else with the same problem. Really don't want to have to install Mountain Lion from scratch on a brand new iMac. I have just got everything set up perfect too.

I tried disconnecting my USB time machine external drive and my usb DVD drive in case they were conflicting, but still nothing.

I figured it could be an issue with partitioning so I tried to add a partition and it said there wasn't enough space, when there actually was. Well, space on the system drive and I assume the mac system drive can be partitioned if it has spare space.

Meh, I'm out of ideas and will probably have to drop into a genius bar to discuss the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 4:06 PM

26 replies

Jun 24, 2013 4:23 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Seriously? So because I have a Fustion drive I can't use Bootcamp. OMG. It's just hit me now how much of a bad decision the Fusion drive has been!!!

I just figured that as last time I bought a mac and could use OSX for my work and general computing and then switch on over to Windows 7 to play games etc.

So basically I'm screwed and I can't use Windows 7 natively on this brand new super fast iMac? There's no games for OSX worth playing and I've just bought a top spec iMac just to do work on now!

*Face Palm*

A heads up from Apple while I was spending £2000 would have been great! I could have at least opted for a crappy old SATA drive so I could use Windows.

Feel like crap now 😟

Jun 24, 2013 4:29 PM in response to Hail2theKingBaby

Sorry that wasn't my intent.

I think you have a couple of options here.

Since the Fusion Drive is nothing more then a tiered logical volume. The two drive can be seperated into the SSD and HDD. Once you do that should allow BootCamp to work.

Another alternnative is to wiat and see if Apple upgrades BootCamp to work on the Fusion Drive. I suspect if the Fusion Drive keeps selling Apple will be forced to do that.

Allan

Jun 24, 2013 4:31 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Ah I see. Premature facepalm.

Do computers that come with a Fusion Drive support Boot Camp?

Yes. Use the Boot Camp Assistant to create a Windows partition and install Boot Camp. The Windows partition will exist on the hard disk drive, not the Flash drive, and is not part of Fusion Drive Logical Volume Group. 3TB Fusion Drive configurations need to update to OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3 or later to install Windows 8. See iMac (27-inch, Late 2012): Boot Camp alert with 3TB hard drive for more information.

I saw that on the FAQ for boot camp.

If I separate the SSD and SATA drive in the Fusion drive out.

1) Is it destructive and I have to wipe everything and install Mountain Lion from scratch and recover data and

2) Does it mean I will loose the benefit of the Fusion feature where it automatically copies the OS and regularly used files tot eh SSD part?

Jun 24, 2013 4:38 PM in response to Hail2theKingBaby

1, Yes. The procedure to split a Fusion Drive will destroy all data on the disks.

2, Yes, if the Fusion Drive is split then you lose all of the featured of data promotion and demotion between the drives.

I was not aware of what Csound said about with 10.8.3 that BootCamp was now able to work with Fusion Drives. I was pretty sure it was coming but I didn't hear anything about it until now.

Allan

Boot Camp does nothing :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.