Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Time Capsule drops clients

I have a new Time Capsule (802.11ac) which replaced a previous generation time capsule.

The new time capsule drops clients after a period of time. I first noticed it with my iPad which would indicate a good wifi connection in the morning, but not connect to anything. I checked this with a Mac running Airport Utility and it would not show my iPad as a client, even though the iPad thought it was connected. Cycling wifi on/off on the iPad would restore the connection and all would work fine.

Then I noticed this on my Mac when it was shut off overnight.

This is apparently a "feature" of the new Time Capsule. Overall the range and performance of the new TC is much better than the old TC, but this "feature" is really annoying.

MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 3:48 PM

12 replies

Jul 2, 2013 3:09 PM in response to Boat Guy

Hey,

Quick update... Took my new time capsule back to apple... They replaced it.

Took it home, set it up as per the instruction. Worked a little better, but not much for 24 hours. Now my internet has slowed dramatically, it has dropped my printer and ipad numerous time and i cant back-up anymore.

I have a call scheduled with the 'Joint Venture' team in apple.

Will see what they say... Will let you know.

I think apple is slipping....

Marty.

Jul 2, 2013 4:48 PM in response to Boat Guy

Hey, I'm having same issue with new 802.11ac TC dropping clients (macbook, mac mini, ipad, iphones, sonos). Problem is, I took one back and got a new one. Same issues. Connection becomes very slow. Initial time machine backup gets interrupted and does not complete. Iphone connection is getting interrupted constantly. A reboot or toggling airplane mode helps temporarily. But only for a few minutes.

But again, this is the SECOND time capsule with this issue.

Very frustrating. If anyone has a good new approach to fixing this let me know. I'm going to give it a week because it sounds like Apple is aware of some issues...at least with the TC and the new MacBook Air...hopeful that it will remedy TC issues for the rest of us. Else I'm going to just take this back and go back to 802.11n.

Sep 21, 2013 12:01 PM in response to Boat Guy

I do not have the newest model TC, I live on a base in Italy so I dont stay up with whats coming out(just found out about the 5S lol). I bought the previous 2TB TC i think the same week the newest one came out and mine is doing this exact same problem, dropping my iphone and MB Pro(it never drops my game systems, iPad or TV though) any time they sleep, are locked, randomly during internet surfing, etc. Does anyone know if its a problem with only the newest one or a software update cause a couple days after I bought mine there was a new update that happened and since that the problem started?

New Time Capsule drops clients

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.