Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone5, the screen is damaged, never synced to iTunes, locked screen, cannot turn off the device...

iPhone5, the screen is damaged, never synced to iTunes, locked screen, cannot turn off the device...

iPhone 5

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 4:29 PM

Apple offers an out of warranty or not covered under the warranty "repair" price that pays for an exchange at a signifcantly reduced price off the full retail sales price. The exchange will be the same model, storage capacity, and color.

Call AppleCare or make an appointment at an Apple Store if there is one nearby regarding their out of warranty repair option for the iPhone 5.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2013 4:29 PM in response to dani456help

Apple offers an out of warranty or not covered under the warranty "repair" price that pays for an exchange at a signifcantly reduced price off the full retail sales price. The exchange will be the same model, storage capacity, and color.

Call AppleCare or make an appointment at an Apple Store if there is one nearby regarding their out of warranty repair option for the iPhone 5.

Jun 24, 2013 4:51 PM in response to dani456help

You're welcome.

Accidental damage is not covered under the standard warranty which is a limited manufacturer's warranty only, not insurance. What I provided is definitely possible as long as the iPhone is not in multiple pieces.

If you have never connected the iPhone to your computer, you have the passcode lock enabled on the iPhone that you are unable to enter to unlock the iPhone, you will not be able to import the photos from the Camera Roll with your computer.

Jun 25, 2013 6:46 PM in response to dani456help

That depends on variables that we can't predict, such as whether there is any damage beyond the broken screen. No one can tell until the display is removed.

If there is additional damage, the phone will need to be replaced, meaning everything on it will be gone.

If you take it to someone other than Apple for service, you will forfeit the ability to ever have it serviced by Apple.

Did you not enable iCloud backups on it when you got it? If you did, it should back up to the cloud nightly when it's connected to power and a WiFi network.

Jun 25, 2013 6:57 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks!

I don´t remember whether I enabled iCloud backups. Presently the screen reveals that wifi is not active in the phone but I can´t change settings due to the lock. However Photostream was active before so at least a good portion of the pics are there-but not the vids. Many other pics are not in Photostream as I was out of wifi during my last vacation before the screen broke.

If the pics where the priority....Would you take it to someone other than Apple to have a screen-only replacement? The phone seems to be working fine exept for my ability to input anything reliably into the screen´s sensor....

Jun 25, 2013 7:06 PM in response to dani456help

No. I would never take an iPhone to anyone other than Apple unless there was no alternative. You can get the display replaced on an iPhone 5 at most Apple stores for $149. If there's more damage, it will cost $229 for a full replacement. Both prices assuming you don't have AppleCare+.

As I said, taking it elsewhere forfeits your ability to ever get it serviced by Apple. Apple does not sell iPhone parts. There are no legitimate sources for iPhone parts. All the parts you will find are either salvaged from damaged phones or counterfeit.

If the phone is at all functional, you may be able to plug it into a computer and extract the photos and videos from the camera roll.

Jun 25, 2013 7:12 PM in response to KiltedTim

Great thanks. Will do. One more thing... I am running out of chances to unlock the phone as get i swipe the bar the keyboard punches automatically random numbers...and the battery is full and cannot get the phone to turn off to prevent the service from accidentally swiping the bar. My safest choice is just to stand by until the battery is out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.