Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal to Calendar corrupted data

Finally upgraded from 10.7 to 10.8 and everything went smoothly, until I realized the data in iCal was corrupted.

I use two primary calendars, Business (red) and Personal (blue). I used to use a third calendar long ago named Entourage (orange) when I was syncing to it, but haven't done so in many moons.

All entries in iCal under 10.7 were marked Entourage when Calendar took over in 10.8, but still appear red or blue in Calendar and on my iPad and iPhone. I moved a Business (red) appointment on the iPad to another day and after syncing via USB to the 10.8/iMac/Calendar, the event became Entourage (orange) while indicating Business in the Inspector info. Changing the event to Personal and then back to Business fixed the event, i.e. allowed it to sync properly.

Since I don't need the Entourage calendar, I deleted it on the iMac and synced, which wiped out all appointments on the iPad and iPhone made under 10.7, yet they remain in Calendar on the iMac with all the appropriate designations. If I change any aspect of an older event, it will sync properly to the iPad and iPhone.

Question - Is there any bulk change I could make to all my events in order to trigger an update to the overall data so that I can get the 10.7 events to once again sync with my iPad and iPhone?

I can certainly move forward with events only from this week on, I've already modified them, but I would very much like to have the old appointments for reference on the road and I would rather not have the corruption lurking for the future.

Mahalo!

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 6:51 PM

4 replies

Jun 24, 2013 7:11 PM in response to Kenneth Hughes

Great, then one thing to try is to go into your backup and recover the camendar files manually, overwriting the new ones. Make an export of your current callendars so you don't lose that week of information.

In the Finder, click the Go menu, then hold down the Option key on your keyboard, this will cause the Library to show in that menu. Click on the library and once you're in that folder find the Calendars folder.

Now that you are in that folder, click on the Time Machine icon in your menu bar and select 'Enter Time Machine'. Now navigate back to one day before you did the upgrade, select all contents of the folder and in the bottom left click 'Restore'.

Once the data has been restored, open the Calendar app and see if everything is back to normal.

You mentioned calendars being changed on your iPhone and iPad as well. If you use iCloud to sync your calendars (or google or another sync service) then there is a chance you may get duplicates or iCloud freaks out and overwrites everything you just did, basically undoing the restore. If this happens, do the procedure again but this time turn off calendar syncing first.

Jun 24, 2013 7:29 PM in response to jayv.

Thank you for the suggestion.

All my old events are still in the Calendar, so exporting and importing wouldn't solve the issue, but instead simply create duplicates without being able to tell which ones were the imports.

On further reflection, I suspect the upgrade from iCal to Calendar didn't corrupt the data so much as Calendar is misreading the iCal structure. Now that I've deleted the Entourage calendar and still have the old events in Calendar, would rather change that data knowing I would complete my mission rather than take an unknown route that could make things worse.

iCal to Calendar corrupted data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.