Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Iphoto, How can I delete photos on my iphone that have already been imported?

I've just spent over the hour on the phone with my sister (who has a law degree, I have an engineering degree), and we could not figure out how to delete photos from our iphones that have already been imported into Iphoto. I thought Apple was the company that made things easier??? This is a nightmare.

The way it should work:

- Launch iPhoto

- Stand on iPhone (Under Devices)

- Select photo to delete (under Already Imported)

- Right-Click Delete (or Send to Trash, or Something)

Obviously we are not thinking like Apple thinks...does anyone know how to do this, or are these programs as crap as they seem and you have to go back to your iphone and select each photo one at a time (all several thousands of them).

Don't even get me started on how messed up my photo libraries have become now that I have (fully) switch over to Apple.

By the way, I like my Mac for everything else...but its photo capabilities suck.

MacBook Air, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 7:56 PM

20 replies

Jun 24, 2013 8:29 PM in response to Ocean20

Thanks, I was hoping for something a little more selective that I could do from my computer, but I think this is helpful.

Maybe the best approach to get this under control is:

- Import all photos into iphoto

- Delete all photos per your suggestion

- Selectivly sync the photos you want put back on your phone

Thanks again, I didn't know this and is a helpful trick!

P.S. I still wouldn't mind finding a way to selectively delete files that are on my iphone from my computer. (In Windows, you can go to My Computer -> Iphone, open the folder and delete what you want).

Jun 25, 2013 2:28 PM in response to szxyz1

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236 for syncing and un-syncing photos.

As far as your statement regarding Windows, if you go to My Computer, iPhone and open the folder, those files displayed there are the photos in the camera roll, not the ones that have been synced from your computer.

You can delete individual photos by unselecting particular folders in the Photos tab in iTunes, or if you want to control it on the computer and then sync, delete the individual photos from the folder you sync to the iPhone, or at least move them from the folder you sync to.

Nov 9, 2013 3:57 AM in response to szxyz1

Unfortunately it's not that easy, but still achievable.

1) Select the photos that have been already imported and you want to delete them.

2) Import them with "import selected".

3) After the first question for duplicate answer that you still want to import.

4) After the import process select that you want to remove all just imported photo from the phone. This results in the duplicate photos transferred to iphoto.

5) Go to last imported, select the photos and delete them. This results in the photos moved to the trash can. When you're really sure, you don't need them, you can just empty the trash bin.

Jan 5, 2014 5:14 PM in response to szxyz1

I have a similar problem. My daughter's iPhone 4s on OS6. She has some iPhoto folders that came from an old phone of mine - not an iPhone. While that folder with photos shows up on her phone, it doesn't show up in iTunes, iPhoto, or Image Capture. She doesn't want to delete the entire folder which she can do on the phone through settings. She wants to keep some of the photos. Doing it individiually on the phone is painstaking. And since she can't see them when attaching to the computer, she can't move them/sync them to her computer and then delete them. Any help out there

Jan 14, 2014 12:36 PM in response to szxyz1

Image capture is the easiest way to delete individual photos. However as I stated my problem - the photos in an iphoto folder nor the iphoto folder on my daughter's phone DON'T show up when hooking it up to the computer through image capture, iPhoto, iTunes.

How can I delete them from her phone individually at the computer if I can't see them?

In Iphoto, How can I delete photos on my iphone that have already been imported?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.