Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any suggestions on where to rent/lease a mac pro?

My Macbook Pro is almost 6 years old and I'm considering renting/leasing a Mac Pro desktop until the new Map Pro's come out in the fall/winter. Any suggestions on where to go? I'll primarily be using it for Final Cut Pro and Adobe Studio. I've been editing mini dv footage from my Sony vx2100 for years on my macbook but i recently upgraded to a panasonic hvx and i'm afraid my ol macbook won't be able to keep up with the file sizes/rendering. Has anybody leased a mac before? Know of anywhere that i could lease for 6 months or less?

Thanks

- Aaron

souped up macbook pro :), Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Jun 24, 2013 11:36 PM

13 replies

May 10, 2017 4:21 PM in response to dot.com

Wanted to add a couple of other suggestions:

Verify all USB ports and Ethernet ports especially - also verify graphics board will boot up in single-user as some people are using PC cards that work in GUI but not in single-user or Option boots.

Try and find one lots of cores/processors.

Beware of models that have had the firmware updated to appear as a model newer than they really are. You can verify the actual model identifier in System Information under Hardware - see the MacTracker.app for any hardware details like which boards came with which system.

Good luck...

May 10, 2017 3:51 PM in response to galenaskater

Think about getting an older MacPro system on Craigslist and make sure to try it out before paying so you know everything works (all ports and graphics). They are very inexpensive and still very powerful. The cost to buy one will probably be about one month lease of a new system, but that's my gut feel not based on experience.

Try and find one with a good graphics board and lots of memory so you can be happy with video editing.

Make sure to find one that will run the version of OS X you need for your applications. 2013, 2012, 2010 models will all run Sierra and all previous versions. 2009 and 2008s model will run up to El Capitan. 2007 and 2006 models will run up to Lion.

Good luck...

Jun 25, 2013 8:35 AM in response to kaz-k

University of Chicago probably restricts those leases to Students and Faculty and others affiliated with the University, under the terms of their site licenses.

There are a LOT of commercial companies willing to lease Mac Pro or other model Macs. The terms are VERY expensive unless you are a business hobbled by capital Equipment write-off rules. My old rule of thumb was that these vendors would require you to pay about one tenth the sale price as your monthly payment.

A search for "lease Mac-Pro /macintosh" turned up dozens of prospects. There are many vendors in this business -- ready, willing and able to rent computers such as the Mac-Pro to you.

Jun 25, 2013 11:08 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

At the end of the lease period, you own nothing. If you buy a Mac yourself, at the end of a year you own a very valuable used Mac that can be sold for a substantial amount of money. That money can then be used for the purchase of a new model.

Leasing is NOT a good deal, unless you are a business subject to Capital Equipment depreciation rules are are cash-poor.

You could also consider buying a refurbished Mac. The ones sold in the Apple store are pristine and indistinguishable from new, and can be covered by Applecare under the same terms as new.

You could also buy a used Mac of the model you prefer, for substantial money off.

Any suggestions on where to rent/lease a mac pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.