Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to authorize my itunes account on my new MacBook.

It keeps showing 'unknown error -42408'. I have two Apple IDs and it shows the same error message for both.

It could well be related to the fact I removed itunes 11 from the new laptop and reinstalled itunes 10 because it is significantly better (but it wont be if I can't play any of the music I purchased on itunes!!).

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), itunes 10.7(21)

Posted on Jun 25, 2013 5:31 AM

3 replies

Jun 25, 2013 5:50 AM in response to Particularlyboredofchosingusernames

See this document:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3258

If you simply removed iTunes '11 and reinstalled iTunes 10, then some ressources will be missing, since iTunes comes as part of the system. The best you can do, is upgrading to iTunes '11 again, unless you want to do the full Monty and donwgrade MacOS X as well - reinstall an older MacOS X version and upgrade all but iTunes.

Léonie

Jun 25, 2013 6:05 AM in response to léonie

I realise the obvious solution is to upgrade to itunes 11 but that is the last resort as I much prefer using itunes 10. I would also dearly love to rollback to snow leopard, which I was using with my last macbook but you can no longer instal older operating systems on new machines. I am therefore stuck with mountain lion.

Jun 25, 2013 6:14 AM in response to Particularlyboredofchosingusernames

I am therefore stuck with mountain lion.

The new machines will also run with Lion. And the installer thumbdrives for Lion have been created when the current iTunes version was still iTunes 10.x. What ever you decide to do - iTunes 10 will need a compatible MacOS X installation; you have to reinstall both when downgrading, or you will be asking for trouble.

I am unable to authorize my itunes account on my new MacBook.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.