Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie HD export to Windows

I have an iMovie HD project that I have finished editing. It is 1hr 40 mins long. Source footage was 1080i HDV 50 from a Sony HDR-HC9 HDV camcorder.

I imported the finished 55Gb project into iDVD (I'd read that's the best setting from one of Bengt Wärleby's old posts), but the project refused to burn. Even when I chose Best Performance. I think it may be due to a combination of an old system, lack of disk space on my external HDD and also only 2Gb RAM. I can't change any of these as it's on an old macbook and I'm in a remote country with little/no access to hardware.

I have a newer PC based system also so I'm thinking of exporting the movie file to a format that can be viewed and/or edited on Windows PC. I will use a separate HDD borrowed from a friend. I'm using ExFat on the External HDD which is compatible with both PC and Mac.

What export settings should I use from iMovie HD to make it compatible for the Windows PC?

I previously tried to just open the mov files in the imovie project folder on my PC, but the mov files are wrapped using Apple Intermediate Codec which my PC won't read and I have heard there is no way of converting? So I guess I must export using a specific format.

I want to retain quality. The final delivery will be DVD (and I'd like to retain an HD copy if at all possible).

Thanks in advance for your support.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 25, 2013 5:04 AM

4 replies

Jun 27, 2013 8:50 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Unfortunately, I got the message: A file compression error occured. The movie could not be properly compressed. The movie may contain some data that is invalid for the type of compression selected.

I've now exported as full quality. It's a huge AIC MOV, hope that IDVD will encode it OK. Otherwise I'm not sure what else to do?

Is it worth re-encoding the AIC MOV using Mpeg Streamclip or other software at all?

Thanks

imovie HD export to Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.