Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I get a new iphone while abroad?

I am waiting on the next iPhone update which people are speculating will be this September. However, I will be abroad starting September until December. Is there anyway I can upgrade my iPhone while abroad (and pay the US dollar price?) I have AT&T.

Posted on Jun 25, 2013 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2013 8:37 AM

If you order the iPhone through Apple, Apple will not ship out of the country

whose Apple store was used to order the iPhone - if you order via Apple US,

shipment will have to be to the US. I believe AT&T works the same since

they operate only in the US, but you may wish to contact AT&T to be sure.

Apple has not yet announced a new iPhone or a release date. Remember

that warranty is valid only in country of purchase; so if you buy while out of US,

warranty will not be valid in the US. And LTE needed for US phones will not work

outside of North America and iPhones purchased elsewhere will not work in the US.

TL,DR: short answer is no.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2013 8:37 AM in response to kunalbkarani

If you order the iPhone through Apple, Apple will not ship out of the country

whose Apple store was used to order the iPhone - if you order via Apple US,

shipment will have to be to the US. I believe AT&T works the same since

they operate only in the US, but you may wish to contact AT&T to be sure.

Apple has not yet announced a new iPhone or a release date. Remember

that warranty is valid only in country of purchase; so if you buy while out of US,

warranty will not be valid in the US. And LTE needed for US phones will not work

outside of North America and iPhones purchased elsewhere will not work in the US.

TL,DR: short answer is no.

Jun 25, 2013 11:33 AM in response to diesel vdub

My old phone broke. So I bought a 3gs as a replacement about half a year back waiting for my contract to end so I can upgrade. Rather than upgrading to a 5 now, I'd like to wait if the 5s is coming out soon. However, I may be abroad when that happens. So Im trying to guage whether to get a 5 now or just wait and get the 5s (or whatever Apple calls it) if that is feasible.

Jun 25, 2013 12:34 PM in response to kunalbkarani

No new iPhone has been announced... speculation about such a device is not permitted per the terms of use of these forums.

Upgrade whenever you want if your account is eligible. Keep in mind there is no rule or law that dictates you must upgrade simply because your account is eligible.

Would it really be that big of a deal to wait a couple months and see what happens?

Jun 25, 2013 1:55 PM in response to kunalbkarani

No, it is not possible to upgrade abroad.

Of course, it does not matter but it seems rather impatient on anyone's part to care about upgrading when traveling.

Then again, not really sure much should be expected when this thread is posted to the iPhone in the Enterprise forum yet has nothing to do with using an iPhone in an Enterprise environment.

Can I get a new iphone while abroad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.