4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2013 3:05 AM by apple-lovin-it
apple-lovin-it Level 1 Level 1

A client has given me a DVD which he has had made by the local camera shop from a hi8 tape. He asked me to rip it to my HDD and then convert into an editable format so he can edit it on a Windows machine. I did as I was asjed and all was well...until he tried to edit it on his Windows system, where upon the sound was absent. The movie PLAYS WITH SOUND on his Windows system but he cannot edit it as there is no sound on importation into the Windows editing program?

Any ideas?

Thanks

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 16GB
Solved by MartinR on Jun 26, 2013 10:21 AM Solved

I output the video to DV, and MP4 and AVI

Actually, it will help to know both the file type and the codec.  For example:

QuickTime/DV vs. .dv

MP4/H.264

AVI/DV Type1, AVI/DV Type 2, AVI/Cinepak, AVI/MJPEG, etc.

Reply by MartinR on Jun 26, 2013 8:12 AM Helpful

The movie PLAYS WITH SOUND on his Windows system but he cannot edit it as there is no sound on importation into the Windows editing program?

It would appear to be a problem on your client's pc and not the file you gave him/her.

But what did you convert the DVD video to?   Filetype, & codec.

What editing software is your client using?  Is it compatible with the filetype & codec you gave him/her?

Reply by apple-lovin-it on Jun 26, 2013 9:25 AM Helpful

I output the video to DV, and MP4 and AVI, all had sound on playing, but no sound in the editing suite.

I will find out the name of the clients software.

Thanks for your help

All replies

• MartinR Level 6 Level 6

The movie PLAYS WITH SOUND on his Windows system but he cannot edit it as there is no sound on importation into the Windows editing program?

It would appear to be a problem on your client's pc and not the file you gave him/her.

But what did you convert the DVD video to?   Filetype, & codec.

What editing software is your client using?  Is it compatible with the filetype & codec you gave him/her?

• apple-lovin-it Level 1 Level 1

I output the video to DV, and MP4 and AVI, all had sound on playing, but no sound in the editing suite.

I will find out the name of the clients software.

Thanks for your help

• MartinR Level 6 Level 6

I output the video to DV, and MP4 and AVI

Actually, it will help to know both the file type and the codec.  For example:

QuickTime/DV vs. .dv

MP4/H.264

AVI/DV Type1, AVI/DV Type 2, AVI/Cinepak, AVI/MJPEG, etc.

• apple-lovin-it Level 1 Level 1

It turned out to be a problem with the clients Windoze computer (no surprise there then)

Thanks for your help though Martin