Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport extreme comcast

Hey,

I recently had a new modem from Xfinity that has screwed up everything! The issue I have is with Airport Extreme (older version). I can see the network and access it on my computer, but cannot on my ipad or iphone. I get a continuous pinwheel on my ipad and iphone. I probably have my computer set up ok because I was able to connect it initally with my ethernet. Now the plug is out and it still works on the wireless network.

What made me look into this was that I was trying to access HBOGO and couldn't. I kept getting an error regarding internet. Not a big Xfinity fan right now....

Should I reset? hard or soft?

Should I get an extender? My router is in the basement in general. However, I am sitting right next to it and have no no network on my iphone or ipad.

If I reset the airport extreme, what other issue could I anticipate with current connections? ie. roku, apple tv, ...

I have looked at all the instructions, but I am afraid to pull the trigger on what may be the best way to fix this problem. What would be the best way to remedy this situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-- jason

Mac Book

Mac OSX

Version 10.6.8

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 5:57 AM

6 replies

Jun 26, 2013 8:23 AM in response to jason.harris23

Is the "modem" provided by Xfinity just a modem or a combination modem and wireless router? How do you have the AirPort Extreme configured with this device? That is, is it connected directly by Ethernet or is there a wireless connection between them? If wireless, is the Extreme configured to join or extend the Xfinity's wireless network? Finally which exact modem of the AirPort Extreme do you have?

Jun 26, 2013 11:02 AM in response to jason.harris23

...could I technically move my extreme upstairs and have it wirelessly extend the xfinity signal? Or is the roaming network a better solution?

Only if you can still keep the connection between them using Ethernet. Unfortunately, most non-Apple routers are not compatible for extending via a wireless connection between routers. In your case, the roaming network would still be the best option.

In line with a roaming network, another option would be to employ Powerline adapters, instead of, Ethernet between locations. These adapters take advantage of your home's electrical wiring to provide a pseudo Ethernet. They have come a long way performance-wise but will add considerably to the cost of your network as you will need a minimum of two (one for each router) to create the connection between them.

airport extreme comcast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.