Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inadvertent midi output from Logic

Hi guys,

I am having a problem with my Logic 9 installation (I *think*).

This started happening about two weeks ago. I am using a Roland digital piano (RD300) as a master keyboard, connected through USB.

When working in Logic (9.1.8 I guess, latest update), it suddenly starts sending a very low note to the piano.

If I select a different patch on the piano, or restart it, the note disappears for a short while, but comes back again only seconds later.

Sometimes, this event is induced by me selecting a track to record on, by clicking the "R" button on the track.

Of course, a lot of the time I am using soft synths so I can turn the volume down on the piano and it's gone.

But I use the piano a lot too, as a reference for working out lines, chord, etc.

To my own knowledge, I have not changed any of the midi settings.

I am using an mbox2 pro as my audio interface, but as mentioned the piano is connected through USB and not this interface.

Any troubleshooting ideas are welcome!

Cheers;

Eivind

Logic Studio, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 6:31 AM

8 replies

Jun 26, 2013 11:49 AM in response to edvinpedvin

Does the Roland have a built-in USB or are you using an inexpensive USB to MIDI interface?

See this thread for a pic I just posted.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5125581?answerId=22342599022#22342599022

This interface is proving problematic on..

1. newer machines

2. recent operating systems

3. Latest version of Logic

What was changed two weeks ago, any upgrades to the operating system or Logic?

Other possibilities... a MIDI doubling or MIDI loop, these are separate problems and not necessarily related to each other.

If the Roland keyboard has a "Local" MIDI control, turn it to OFF. This separates the keyboard from the Roland's internal piano/sound module. That way MIDI is not reaching the keyboard from two routes, internally and through MIDI.

Jun 26, 2013 1:00 PM in response to Pancenter

HI,

it has built-in USB. As you can see here:

User uploaded file

I dont think I've upgraded Logic the past few weeks, but I'm not a 100% sure.

Sounds strange if that should have changed anything, unless a default setting was altered, which I havent seen happen before.

I'll check if the Roland has a local MIDI control - I want it to get MIDI locally, though, But not remotely.

E.

Jun 26, 2013 1:14 PM in response to edvinpedvin

You didn't previously mention it was an SX model, those are newer, the older Roland's did not have the USB connection.

Local control should be very easy to enable disable. When it's OFF, the keyboard will be able to play itself Through Logic but will not sound when you choose to play through a soft synth. When you want to use the Keyboard without Logic running simply switch Local to ON.

The other thing to check in the Keyboards MIDI section is to see if a Soft Thru is enabled. Some keyboards have the ability to echo the MIDI Input to MIDI out, when using Logic this creates a MIDI loop, often with the resulting stuck low notes.

There's a couple of other possibilities if these fail.

The reason I asked about updates is the possibility that either the most recent Logic release and or recent operating system is having problems with some USB MIDI interfaces.

Jun 26, 2013 2:47 PM in response to edvinpedvin

edvinpedvin wrote:

Nope,

local control doesn't change anything in my case.

BTW, it's not the selected piano sound of the RD300SX that's sounding, it's the first strings/pad patch, sounding note C0.

I can't tell whether it has MIDI soft thru, that's not mentioned in the manual.

E.

I realize it's not the keyboard sound that's causing the problem, it's just that if MIDI was doubling up at the keyboard it's possible it can send bad data out.

The other possibility causing a lot of problems as of late is control suraces, this is easy to check.

In the upper left "Logic Pro" menu, select Preferences, slide down to control surfaces and select Bypass All Control Surfaces.

See if that helps

Sep 13, 2013 6:11 AM in response to Pancenter

OK, so this situation is now actually ruining an entire session for me.

I cant record my RD300SX piano because of the stupid pulsing noise from the piano.

As soon as I click the Record arm button on the audio track, it starts pulsing. And it does so in perfect sync with the red light of the "Record" button.

Strange strange strange. Is some function connected to the record button sending out MIDI sync of some kind?

Sure, I can find a soft piano from Kontakt or something, but when the RD300SX is perfect...argh!

F***, F***ety, F***.

E.

Sep 14, 2013 1:05 AM in response to Data Stream Studio

Yeheeey!

That solved it! Whoo! Happiness and Bliss!

Thanks so much for your info - and please excuse my combined ignorance and impatience on the topic.

I have zero knowledge about these functions in Logic, and never use them. Dont have a control surface and probably never will.

The "Record button" device was sending a "note On" on channel 2, presumably one for every blink.

What this is good for, I dont know. I'd assume there were special messages to use for such things (having record lights flash in sync?!?).

Anyway; cheers and thank you so much!

E.

Inadvertent midi output from Logic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.