Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes starts itself

itunes starts all by itself playing music unbidden!

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 6:05 PM

I have the same problem with itunes and mavericks.

For no apparent reason, iTunes will just start up and begin playing a song in my library where it was when it last stopped, most often when I'm watching a news clip (hulu, for example), or on YouTube. This has just begun since I installed Mavericks a couple weeks ago.

I will close it out and after a few more minutes it will start again.

I wonder if we all just ask these questions and Apple just laughs at it all. Seems I've read many of these and we all help with suggestions, but does anyone from Apple actually read these? They must know something's wrong.

I do not have it in my startups.

I am not inserting a CD or DVD

I am not inserting anything.

iTunes just starts playing randomly, especially when I'm watching a youtube video.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2013 6:05 PM in response to postie67

I have the same problem with itunes and mavericks.

For no apparent reason, iTunes will just start up and begin playing a song in my library where it was when it last stopped, most often when I'm watching a news clip (hulu, for example), or on YouTube. This has just begun since I installed Mavericks a couple weeks ago.

I will close it out and after a few more minutes it will start again.

I wonder if we all just ask these questions and Apple just laughs at it all. Seems I've read many of these and we all help with suggestions, but does anyone from Apple actually read these? They must know something's wrong.

I do not have it in my startups.

I am not inserting a CD or DVD

I am not inserting anything.

iTunes just starts playing randomly, especially when I'm watching a youtube video.

Nov 28, 2013 9:31 PM in response to Peter Bouvier

I am having the same problem with iTunes launching itself and starting to play music or a movie randomly. Quitting or Force Quitting does not have any effect. It persistently will restart itself and begin playing from whatever file group it was in when last quit. I read the posts about paired remotes, headphone jacks, etc. This happens to me on a Mini Server with nothing attached to it- but the latest Mavericks and iTunes versions. Pretty annoying.

Nov 29, 2013 6:32 AM in response to slowpaddler

Until Apple fixes this (which is doubtfull since I see post as far back as 2009, but to be fair it covers a lot), I follow someon's suggestion to create a blank play list (I call my iTunes *****), and leave iTunes open on that. It is extremely annoying.

I am trying to watch a movie, and iTunes keeps opening up and playing where it left off. No matter what I do, I can't keep it from starting, short of deleting it from my computer. Or maybe reverting Mavericks. Or maybe start looking at Windows.

IAC, it seems to be quiet now just sitting on a blank playlist.

Dec 30, 2013 12:52 AM in response to postie67

I have this problem. I don't have anything connected, no blue tooth, no key board, no headphones. Anyone realize how CREEPY it is to hear music in the middle of the night for no reason? It also starts playing music while I'm watching Netflix or Hulu or whatever. It's even MORE annoying because it the songs start to skip and go really fast. I've tried finding a solution, but I really want to just fly my iPad out the window and into a burning fire! It happens sooooo much! I'm debating about just giving up on iPads and getting a tablet. Unless they start doing the involuntary music thing too. What really ****** me off is the fact that it only really RECENTLY started doing this since my last system update.

Is there ANY solution? Am I missing something? I've gone into iTunes, iPad settings, I've tried logging out of the cloud... This thing never gives up. If anyone finds a solution, just make your own page to help out all the people going crazy from this.

Jan 15, 2014 12:58 AM in response to Karma_Bonds

You said it I am in class in school and next thing you know " you got that one thing so get out get out get out of my head and fall into my arms instead" My One Direction Hit Ultimate Soundtrack goes on speaker at night and at school I got the thing taken away 15 times. Do what I do power down completely not the click off click on one never work and suri going on in my history class my history teacher tells me " turn the fing thing off now!"

I feel ur pain bro

Nov 28, 2014 1:50 AM in response to Peter Bouvier

There is too much of this for it to be something any individual does. It has to be a fault with iTunes. I upgraded to Yosemite thinking that might fix it, but uh-uh. I call my blank playlist "Stupid iTunes Try And Play This". This is not a fix though, because iTunes will still start up on its own. I also have tried everything anyone has suggested in these discussions, and none of them really seem to work. Thought it might be when a site is auto refreshing itself like a golf leaderboard. "Oh, let's play a tune while you are waiting for the latest scores." Also thought the TV remote might be activating it, so I disabled the infrared remote receiver. http://www.iclarified.com/37869/how-to-disable-your-macs-remote-control-infrared -receiver Doesn't explain why it is doing it in the middle of the night, though. If I shut iTunes down before I go to bed, when I wake up in the morning it is active again. At least the blank list maintains the silence. Safari is trying to even the score though. If I leave it open, when I check in the morning it has shut down on its own.

Aug 28, 2015 9:51 PM in response to postie67

I haven't watched HULU in a while. am still running mavericks - haven't updated to yosemite sam - seems like the further along we go, the more effed up programs and systems get - like, gee, we had it right a while ago, but now we need to screw with it and make it efff up until people call apple the new pos windows and apple thus begins its long slow downward spiral to its demise.

itunes was initially open and i didn't realize that it started playing by itself when trying to watch a hulu movie... was using headphones too.

Had to keep force quitting itunes as it would restart all by itself and the music was also quite a bit louder than the audio track on the movie which made it all the worse.

for a while it stopped - and i had left the force quit window open to the side just in case.

Then i noticed the pos headphones were dropping signal so when i started messing with the plug by the jack, here comes itunes again - like the headphone jack and itunes seem to have a connection. Running itunes 12.1.2.

<Edited by host>

itunes starts itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.