Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

garageband error: 'out of memory'

i keep getting this error when i open a file, use a file, basically when im using garageband. every single time. i checked on another question where i found a temporary solution. something about changing the input/output of sound, which fixed it for a couple of days. then i kept googling and found that my 4GB RAM wasnt enough to support the capacity of work I was doing. so i then upgraded to 16GB of RAM which still hasnt fixed the problem. what can i do? thanks

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 9:51 AM

5 replies

Jul 2, 2013 5:01 PM in response to laladk

16GB om Memory is quite a lot and should be fine unless you have big sessions of Play or Vienna Instrument loaded in your Project.

To check what is going on with your memory and how it is used, optn the utility app "Activity Monitor". It is located in the /Applications/Utilities folder.

Here you see all the apps that ar currently running and their stats regarding CPU and Memory allocation.

Also selct the "System Memory" tab at the bottom to see the overal situaion of your RAM.

• Total installed RAM. See if your system sees all the 16GB
  • How much REAL Memory is currently used.
  • Check the Page Outs and the Swap space. If you are running a lot of apps (or Safari with a lot of tabs), your system will fall back on "virtual Memory" which means it outseources the storage to your (slower) drive. This is not good, especially for realtime apps

Keep that Activity Monitor window open and see how how your memory usage goes up with each instrument you load in GarageBand. Maybe there is a "bad one" that gobbles up all your memory.

Here is a screenshot of the Activity Monitor

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

garageband error: 'out of memory'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.