Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frankenstein iBook G3

Possibly the derp-iest question ever (please be kind) 😊, but I'm trying to salvage the innards of a motherboard-dead MBP 17" (2009).

Is it possible to put the MBP's HD & RAM into its still-functioning sibling, an iBook G3? (or clamshell iBook?) I have a collection of outdated or non-functioning notebooks that could supplement my Air. The memory & space hogs on my machines are always photos & tunes (ripped CDs & iTunes).

1. Possible?
  2. What are the limits? (ports are the first to come to mind)
  3. What to watch for?
  4. How to do it?

I'd love to learn by DIY, but this isn't a project I should learn by doing since the MBP HD has files I wouldn't trust to clumsy me w/a screwdriver.

Thanks very much for reading & entertaining my wackadoodle idea.

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10), AirPort Express Base Station; DSL ethernet modem

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 11:55 AM

Hello,

Just so we understand. You have a broken McBook Pro 17", which you wish to use the RAM and the Hard Drive in an iBook G3 or Clamshell iBook?

Unfortunately not. The iBook G3 models didn't not have DDR memory. The memory modules are completely different in size and number of pins. The MacBook pro uses the SDRAM DDR2, while your iBook G3 is PC100/PC133.

The hard drive are different too. The MacBook Pro has a SATA hard drive and the iBook simply used a ATA drive. Even though they are the same size, the connections are different.

You also can't install a MaBook Pro logic board in an iBook or the other way round.

They re different shape sizes and different connections.

I hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2013 11:55 AM in response to J Massey

Hello,

Just so we understand. You have a broken McBook Pro 17", which you wish to use the RAM and the Hard Drive in an iBook G3 or Clamshell iBook?

Unfortunately not. The iBook G3 models didn't not have DDR memory. The memory modules are completely different in size and number of pins. The MacBook pro uses the SDRAM DDR2, while your iBook G3 is PC100/PC133.

The hard drive are different too. The MacBook Pro has a SATA hard drive and the iBook simply used a ATA drive. Even though they are the same size, the connections are different.

You also can't install a MaBook Pro logic board in an iBook or the other way round.

They re different shape sizes and different connections.

I hope this helps.

Jun 26, 2013 12:11 PM in response to J Massey

Hello,

You're welcome 🙂

Sadly it would seem that way.

I've had the same thing happen to my MacBook Pro 17", but luky I had Apple Care protection.

Which replaced the logic board as part of my cover.

Can say it's expensive to replace the logic board on a 17" MacBook Pro.

If it's an 2006-2008 model, then you may just as well buy a used fully working one,. It would be cheaper than a new logic board. You swap the hard drive round.

Whichever way you do this, be sure to get the correct logic board for your MacBook Pro.

Best of luck.

Frankenstein iBook G3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.