Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am traveling internationally and have been told to switch my iphone to Airplane Mode to avoid international roaming charges. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Also, if it is on Airplane Mode when taking pictures does that count as data?

I am terrified by these $20,000 phone bill stories from international roaming

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 2:18 PM

Enabling Airplane Mode will completely isolate your iPhone from any network, so no worries. Using the camera does not use data. Sending pictures you've taken to others or to iCloud uses data, but that can't happen while in Airplane Mode.

Once you get off the plane, leave Airplane Mode ON and you can safely turn Wi-Fi on if you want to connect to a network (free, or a nominal fee). But Wi-Fi is completely separate from cellular, data, and roaming charges from your carrier.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2013 2:18 PM in response to leetev

Enabling Airplane Mode will completely isolate your iPhone from any network, so no worries. Using the camera does not use data. Sending pictures you've taken to others or to iCloud uses data, but that can't happen while in Airplane Mode.

Once you get off the plane, leave Airplane Mode ON and you can safely turn Wi-Fi on if you want to connect to a network (free, or a nominal fee). But Wi-Fi is completely separate from cellular, data, and roaming charges from your carrier.

I am traveling internationally and have been told to switch my iphone to Airplane Mode to avoid international roaming charges. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Also, if it is on Airplane Mode when taking pictures does that count as data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.