Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express as wireless Extender to Time Capsule

I have an older airport express that I used to use as an Wifi extender for my Time Capsule. I have a Macbook Pro running Os 10.8.4, and the airport utility now gives the following error:

This version of AirPort Utility doesn’t support this base station. Go to AirPort Service and Support for more information.

Since OS 10.8 does not support Airport Express 5.6, I have an old Mac I've been able to access Airport Express on and was able to ensure that everything was setup correctly as a wireless extender. However, None of my computers, Ipads, or Iphones are benefitting from this as an extender. Is it possible to use this older airport express as an extender still or has Apple completely blocked me from using it even as that any longer? It used to work fine, until I updated the OS from 10.7 to 10.8, and now it no longer functions.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 2:22 PM

14 replies

Jun 26, 2013 3:55 PM in response to John.Romey

The older devices should still function identically under ML as Lion. You can use AirPort Utility 5.6 for the Time Capsule as well, unless it is the newest model. Simply copy the app from the older Mac to the newer one. Make sure it has a unique name so that it does not overwrite the newer AirPort Utility version, which should not be removed.

How is the Express configured to "extend" the Time Capsule's network? The only way I know to do that is to connect them to the TC using Ethernet. Older 802.11b/g Expresses, model numbers A1084 and A1088, cannot "wirelessly extend" a network.

If you turn Wi-Fi off on the subject devices, then turn it back on when it is near the Express, does that make a difference?

It may be necessary to perform a complete reset of your network, starting with a "hard reset" of all the devices. This will not erase your Time Capsule's backups.

Jun 26, 2013 4:14 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for your reply. Sure you can extend with an A1084. When you go into configuration in Airport Security there is an option to "Extend the range of my Airport Extreme or Airport Express Network. Select this option if you want your AirPort Express to extend your wireless network and share its Internet connection." You then configure the Airport Express as an extender... I've been using it as such for several years but suddenly it stopped working with the OS update some months back.

Turning on and off makes no difference, and I have done a hard reset on all of the devices with no luck.

I was able to copy the old airport utility from the old mac to the new one, which allows access to it, but the whole point in setting this up is to have my ipad and iphone to be able to use it as an extender when at the other side of the apartment, which is quite long. They can't access it and as far as I know there is no old version of the airport utlity app for them either to check anything.

Jun 26, 2013 4:39 PM in response to John.Romey

That article addresses installing AU 5.6 on a Mountain Lion system, not the ability to "wirelessly extend" an 802.11b/g - only Express. That ability is available for 802.11n - capable base stations only:

Multiple Wi-Fi base station network types

If you need to extend the range of your wireless network, which method should you use?

For 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi base stations:

• Roaming Network (Recommended)
  • Wirelessly Extended Network

For 802.11g Wi-Fi base stations:

• Roaming Network (Recommended)
  • WDS

Which of the above configurations applies to your network?

Jun 26, 2013 5:10 PM in response to John.Romey

If the Express is connected to the Time Capsule with an Ethernet cable, then you can implement a "roaming network".

If not, then you can implement a WDS.

Of the two, the "roaming network" is far more preferable. A WDS can be accomplished, but it's tedious even for experienced users and results in a significant reduction in network performance even when it's working perfectly. You will enjoy a good Wi-Fi signal at the Express but your potential network throughput will be reduced by more than 50% while connected to either base station.

I guess Apple just wants me to buy a new airport express....

Of course. You can only beat your head against a wall so much.

Jun 26, 2013 5:52 PM in response to John.Romey

OK, perhaps you need to reconfigure your WDS. Here are the instructions:

Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a Wireless Distribution System (802.11b/g)

Use AirPort Utility 5.6.

The last time I did this I found it helpful to have all the equipment together on one desk. That way, it's easier to read their MAC addresses, and to "hard reset" them if you should make a mistake which will invariably occur. Make everything work, then deploy the base stations to their permanent locations.

Be sure to read the Additional Information at the end! In particular: "... be sure that all base stations have the same network name, channel, and security (password)."

I was never able to successfully implement a WDS "automatically" even after following the steps with care. In the end it was necessary to configure each one manually anyway.

Good luck!

Airport Express as wireless Extender to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.