2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2013 10:42 AM by rccharles
roettig Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

*First time mac user*

I recently bought an Imac from a friend and it didnt come with any disks, I think I need to do a full format so im guessing i would need to buy the disks to do that.

I have an iMac 5,2, currently running Mac OS X (10.4.11) so what would be my best option? is there a cheaper or possibly free way to do this? and if I buy a disk which would be the best one for my Mac?

Thank you in advance tech gods!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • 1. Re: what os disk should i buy?
    Niel Level 10 Level 10 (242,030 points)

Either buy a Mac OS X 10.6 DVD from the online Apple Store or phone Apple and order replacement original disks. The Mac OS X 10.6 DVD doesn't contain iLife or the Apple Hardware Test.

(84710)

• 2. Re: what os disk should i buy?
    rccharles Level 5 Level 5 (5,360 points)

I recently bought an Imac from a friend and it didnt come with any disks, I think I need to do a full format so im guessing i would need to buy the disks to do that.

You can your coming from Windows. I wouldn't bother.  There isn't a massive invasions of malware on the Mac platform.

I would buy a backup hd.  I'd call OWC for a backup hd.

I'd give OWC a call. 1-815-338-8685.

FireWire 800 + USB 3, + eSATA

&

save a little money interface:

FireWire 400 + USB 2.0

This web page lists both external harddrive types. You may need to scroll to the right to see both.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

(2) FireWire 800/400 Ports (Up to 100MB/s / 50MB/s)

(1) USB 3.0 Port (Up to 500MB/s / 60MB/s)

(1) eSATA Port (Up to 300MB/s)

Has a combo firewire 800/400 port.  Not sure what this is.  Looks like you will  need 400 cable.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministack

Restore  DVDs are available from Apple by calling 800-767-2775. Have your serial number ready. Have your credit card ready too.  There is a small fee.