Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

802.1x: Possible to connect pre-login?

I need to find a way to get the WiFi connection to become/remain active before a user logs in.

I've got a configuration profile (Encryption: WPA/WPA2 Enterprise, Enterprise Mode: Loginwindow, Enterprise Mode: System, EAP Type: PEAP, Auto Join: True) set up, and the computer is joined to the AD domain but I am unable to login using my AD credentials as the Wi-Fi doesn't connect until after a user logs in and I have no way of logging in and caching them without being able to have the connection active prior to logging in. Bit of a catch .22.

I have created a config file as referenced in this article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4772 but the computer still fails to connect to wireless pre-login.

I get the same results trying with a local user as opposed to an AD user: The wireless connection doesn't become active until I log in.

Is there a way to make the wireless connection kick off pre-login?

System is running 10.8.4.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 2:48 PM

2 replies

Sep 9, 2013 9:28 AM in response to Tviokh

I am setting this up for the first time on new Macbooks, 10.8.4. After creating the .mobileconfig, I added the PayloadScope, PayloadType changes and imported the .mobileconfig profile.

After reboot, I do get the LoginWindow with the WiFi drop down above username and password. I also see the WiFi status indicator in the top right go solid (brighter white) after entering in credentials. The system does not however login.

If I log on with the local administrator account, the mac does have Active Directory login options configured.

What isn't happening after WiFi authentication to initiate the Active Directory based logon to the system, so the user can start using the system?

802.1x: Possible to connect pre-login?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.