Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport signal weak?

After a lightning strike, I brought my Airport Extreme to the Apple store where they reset it. The green light is now on, and the laptop within a few feet of the AirPort connects, but other devices around the house do not. Any suggestions? Thanks

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (4th Gen), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 8:48 PM

I am assuming that these other Wi-Fi devices (around the house) used to connect just fine before the lightning strike? If so, it may be possible that the Extreme was damaged.

However, before assuming so, I would take some Signal-to-Noise Ratio measurements at different location where you want to gain access to the wireless network to see how well the Extreme is providing a signal with enough bandwidth to be useful.

Please check out the following AirPort User Tip for details on how to take these measurements. Please post back your results.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2013 8:48 PM in response to hjoel

I am assuming that these other Wi-Fi devices (around the house) used to connect just fine before the lightning strike? If so, it may be possible that the Extreme was damaged.

However, before assuming so, I would take some Signal-to-Noise Ratio measurements at different location where you want to gain access to the wireless network to see how well the Extreme is providing a signal with enough bandwidth to be useful.

Please check out the following AirPort User Tip for details on how to take these measurements. Please post back your results.

Airport signal weak?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.