Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Play iTunes on Onkyo TX-NR626 Via Airport Extreme or AppleTV?

I recently bought an Onkyo TX-NR626. It is not Airplay capable, but I want to stream iTunes from my iMac or Macbook over this receiver. The reciever is wireless capable.

What are my options for connecting the airport or AppleTV to this receiver that'll give me the ability to stream music from iTunes??

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Mid 2009

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 8:40 PM

Either the AirPort Express or the Apple TV can be used as the AirPlay "speaker." In turn, the Onkyo would need to be connected to either using an audio cable. Even though the Onkyo is wireless, you will not be able to stream audio directly from iTunes without an AirPlay speaker.

So basically, you would stream from your iMac or MacBook directly to the Express (or Apple TV). In turn the stream would reach the Onkyo via the audio cable connection.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2013 8:40 PM in response to iPuzzled1

Either the AirPort Express or the Apple TV can be used as the AirPlay "speaker." In turn, the Onkyo would need to be connected to either using an audio cable. Even though the Onkyo is wireless, you will not be able to stream audio directly from iTunes without an AirPlay speaker.

So basically, you would stream from your iMac or MacBook directly to the Express (or Apple TV). In turn the stream would reach the Onkyo via the audio cable connection.

Jun 26, 2013 9:46 PM in response to Tesserax

Audio cable meaning HDMI right? Yes, that will work, but I'm trying to accomplish playing this music on Zone2 which will only play networked music and analog sources. If its through HDMI then it won't play.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if there is a way to stream iTunes through the network connection somehow on this receiver. What about hooking my Macbook up to the USB port...maybe that'll work? I don't know...any other ideas?

Thanks.

Jun 27, 2013 8:08 AM in response to iPuzzled1

Audio cable meaning HDMI right? Yes, that will work, but I'm trying to accomplish playing this music on Zone2 which will only play networked music and analog sources. If its through HDMI then it won't play.

For both the Express and the Apple TV support iTunes streaming via an optical digital audio port. More specifically the Express' audio port supports both optical digital and analog audio output. The Apple TV does not have analog but does support both optical digital and HDMI.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if there is a way to stream iTunes through the network connection somehow on this receiver.

If you mean streaming iTunes directly to the Onkyo via wireless, then sorry but no. This is where having AirPlay capability would have solved the problem. Since the Onkyo does not, you will need either the Express or Apple TV to provide that capability.

What about hooking my Macbook up to the USB port...maybe that'll work?

No, but connecting an audio cable between them should.

Jun 27, 2013 9:32 AM in response to iPuzzled1

Many AVRs have AirPlay built in, but the only Onkyo AVRs that do include the TX-NR515AE and the TX-NR616AE. If native AirPlay capability is very important for you consider exchanging yours for one of them.

It would be nice if AirPlay could be added to others with a firmware update but there is no indication Onkyo is interested in doing that.

Jul 8, 2013 9:22 PM in response to iPuzzled1

I just finished connecting an Apple TV to my Onkyo 626 via HDMI and used this device to pick up the Audio off the HDMI and send via RCA analog jacks to the Phono Analog Input so I can listen to it via Zone 2.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-HDMI-Audio-Extractor-3-5mm/dp/B008LOIKX6/ref=sr_1_2 ?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373342907&sr=1-2&keywords=hdmi+to+hdmi+audio

With this setup I have the flexibility to listen to my Itunes Music (also photos, videos, Netflix, etc) in my Main Zone TV and/or listen to Itunes in Zone 2.

Jul 10, 2013 9:31 PM in response to iPuzzled1

BTW, I also set it up where I could send music via Bluetooth to Zone 2 by using a Logitech Wireless Adapater and hooking it to the analog audio TV/CD input on the receiver. This allows me to send anything I have on my smartphone via Bluetooth to Zone 2. I aslo put a Bluetooth Dongle on my desktop computer that runs ITunes so I could also Bluetooth music to Zone 2 but when you use Bluetooth the music is compressed so much better playing via ATV.

How to Play iTunes on Onkyo TX-NR626 Via Airport Extreme or AppleTV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.