Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Yamaha DTX500 as drum controller in Logic - Please Help

A super-newbie question,

I'm using Logic 9 express, and I want to use my Yamaha DTX520k electric drum kit as a midi drum controller so that ideally, I could play it and record 8 separate drum tracks in Logic (one for each drum pad). This way I could play with each individual track later.

I've got a Roland midi to usb UM-One to link the drums into Logic, and I've set that up in Audio Midi Setup, so it is showing up in Logic when I create a new External Midi track.

By from there I am stumped. I play the drums but Logic is not picking it up, and I have no idea how to create a map to ensure that the bass drum track will make a bass drum sound in Logic.

If anyone has any simple ideas on how to accomplish the above, I would be eternally grateful.

I have never worked with midi before.

Many thanks in advance,

Jeff

Logic Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Yamaha DTX520k electric drums

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2013 4:04 AM

Hi

Some things to consider:

a) MIDI from your kit could be routed to an Instrument track in Logic with a drumkit loaded (EXS24/Ultrabeat etc). You may run into isses of note-mapping between the kit and the (generally GM standard) sound mapping in EXS/UB. Either change the transmitted notes in the kit, or you'll need to do a re-map in Logic.. see item c).

b) If you want to use the kit 'built-in' sounds, you'll need to connect up the audio outs to your audio interface. You may wish to record MIDI and re-send out to the 'brain' via an External MIDI track (but you will still need the audio connections in order to hear the kit in Logic). Make an audio track set to the correct inputs, and turn on Input Monitoring.

c) If you need to re-map MIDI notes (Kick=kick etc), it will be quicker and easier to change them at the kit side, rather than in Logic (consult it's manual), but it is possible using a Mapped Instrument Environment object.

CCT

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2013 4:04 AM in response to Jeff makes music

Hi

Some things to consider:

a) MIDI from your kit could be routed to an Instrument track in Logic with a drumkit loaded (EXS24/Ultrabeat etc). You may run into isses of note-mapping between the kit and the (generally GM standard) sound mapping in EXS/UB. Either change the transmitted notes in the kit, or you'll need to do a re-map in Logic.. see item c).

b) If you want to use the kit 'built-in' sounds, you'll need to connect up the audio outs to your audio interface. You may wish to record MIDI and re-send out to the 'brain' via an External MIDI track (but you will still need the audio connections in order to hear the kit in Logic). Make an audio track set to the correct inputs, and turn on Input Monitoring.

c) If you need to re-map MIDI notes (Kick=kick etc), it will be quicker and easier to change them at the kit side, rather than in Logic (consult it's manual), but it is possible using a Mapped Instrument Environment object.

CCT

Using Yamaha DTX500 as drum controller in Logic - Please Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.