Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is apple tv getting dim?

After watching for a bit, the screen gets dim. Not sure why.

Any help is greatly appreciated 🙂

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 6:17 PM

4 replies

Jun 29, 2013 6:23 AM in response to mclare

Hello Mclare,

For what you are describing here, I have a few suggestions. First I would restart the Apple TV in this manner:

... try resetting your equipment by disconnecting Apple TV, your TV, your wireless networking equipment or base station, and your router from the power outlet. Wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect everything.

Then test again. If the issue persists then try resetting the settings on the device:

You can reset all of the settings on your Apple TV to factory values.

Important: This requires you to reenter all of your network and account information.

To reset all settings:

Choose Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

And lastly, try restoring the Apple TV as a last resort:

To restore Apple TV:

Choose Settings > General > Reset, and then select Restore. Restoring Apple TV can take some time, so be patient.

If restoring doesn’t work or if Apple TV still doesn’t respond, you can restore it using iTunes:

To restore Apple TV using iTunes:

1 Disconnect the power and HDMI cables from Apple TV and take it to your computer.

2 Connect one end of a micro USB cable (sold separately) to the back of Apple TV, and the other end to your computer.

3 Connect one end of the Apple TV power cord to the power port on the back of Apple TV and the other end to a power outlet.

4 Open iTunes on your computer, select Apple TV in the Source list, and then click Restore.

All this info is from the User Guide, found here: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/apple_tv_3rd_gen_setup.pdf near the end in the troubleshooting Apple TV section.

Regards,

Sterling

Feb 12, 2016 5:25 PM in response to 1raulc

I know this is an old post but I have had the same problem and thought it was my Apple TV. All of my other HDMI inputs functioned okay; just the Apple TV would dim after a couple of minutes. I could not find a setting in the Apple TV but was sure it was the problem (ambient light sensor?). I just purchased a new Apple TV and it also went dim after a couple of minutes when watching a movie. It turns out that my Samsung TV has a ECO setting. I turned this off and the Apple TV has yet to go dim.

why is apple tv getting dim?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.