Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using new iMac USB vs a USB AC adapter?

I am using my computer for music production (Logic Pro). I already have a wired keyboard and a midi unit plugged into USB ports on my computer. I have a music controller keyboard that is USB powered. WouldI be better off plugging the music keyboard into a USB AC Adapter than the computer? I was thinking this might save computer resources.

Jim Frank

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 8:48 PM

plugging the music keyboard into a USB AC Adapter than the computer?

Yes, it would probably be better. All computers have limited ability to supply power to USB devices that are connected. It is possible to connect more USB devices than the computer can power. So, any device that has its own power supply, yes, it's a good idea to plug it into AC rather than depending on the computer to supply the power over the USB cable.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2013 8:48 PM in response to funguy12

plugging the music keyboard into a USB AC Adapter than the computer?

Yes, it would probably be better. All computers have limited ability to supply power to USB devices that are connected. It is possible to connect more USB devices than the computer can power. So, any device that has its own power supply, yes, it's a good idea to plug it into AC rather than depending on the computer to supply the power over the USB cable.

using new iMac USB vs a USB AC adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.