Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ethernet port dead on Powerbook firewire

ethernet port dead on my Powerbook Firewire 400MHZ G3 1GB RAM 40GB HARD DRIVE DVD-ROM

I tried Open Firmware Reset and PRAM RESET AND WOULD I NEED TO GET A NEW LOGIC BOARD.

Joshua Lich

The port stopped working for 2 months and i have no AHT DISKS OR PROPER IMAGES TO DO SO

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), MAC OS 9.22

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 9:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2013 10:48 PM

Hi, and Welcome to the Forums..

Ok, since you already did a PRAM reset and that didn't resolve the problem.. there is ONE LAST step before we can say it is or could be the logic board.. Do a PMU reset. This is a hard reset where you would have to do the following:

A full (PMU) reset of the Pismo (Apple calls it a 'PowerBook (FireWire)') follows:

If the computer is on, turn it off.

Press and release the reset button located on the rear panel of the computer between the external video and modem ports.

Wait 5 seconds.

Press the Power button to restart the computer.

If and only if you do this and the problem is not resolved, either you will need the Apple Hardware Test which came packaged with the Pismo or you will need MacTest Pro also called: Apple Service Diagnostic to do further diagnostic checking on the Pismo's ethernet port.

Try the PMU reset above and report back.. Try to then plug in an ethernet cable and see if u can get any response from it. If not, I would suggest getting the AHT or MTP from someone.. Actually, if you email me I might be able to further assist as I DO have the tools to make your Pismo work again, hopefullly assuming its not a logic board issue.

Romko

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2013 10:48 PM in response to joshuafromiron mountain

Hi, and Welcome to the Forums..

Ok, since you already did a PRAM reset and that didn't resolve the problem.. there is ONE LAST step before we can say it is or could be the logic board.. Do a PMU reset. This is a hard reset where you would have to do the following:

A full (PMU) reset of the Pismo (Apple calls it a 'PowerBook (FireWire)') follows:

If the computer is on, turn it off.

Press and release the reset button located on the rear panel of the computer between the external video and modem ports.

Wait 5 seconds.

Press the Power button to restart the computer.

If and only if you do this and the problem is not resolved, either you will need the Apple Hardware Test which came packaged with the Pismo or you will need MacTest Pro also called: Apple Service Diagnostic to do further diagnostic checking on the Pismo's ethernet port.

Try the PMU reset above and report back.. Try to then plug in an ethernet cable and see if u can get any response from it. If not, I would suggest getting the AHT or MTP from someone.. Actually, if you email me I might be able to further assist as I DO have the tools to make your Pismo work again, hopefullly assuming its not a logic board issue.

Romko

Jul 3, 2013 7:55 AM in response to romko23

on second thought i am getting a powerbook G4 15" 1.5GHZ Laptop with SUPERDRIVE from someone on ebay and i will be transfering my stuff of the pismo but i will need an AHT DISK FULL IMAGE OF APPLE HARDWARE TEST for my PB G4 1.5GHZ 15" and that laptop is really old and it will just be recycled in town here so thanks i also did a hard reset like you said and it still doesn't work so it will be recycled as planed motherboard must be dying as it could be but thanks for the info

ethernet port dead on Powerbook firewire

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.