Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

add app to "open with"

I have an app called "Notepad". I want to add this to the list that I get when I right click a file and say "Open with".

If I choose it once for a file, that's ok (I have to unselect "reccomended applications"). Next time I right-click, I have to choose it again. It does not appear on the list.

I want to register Notepad as a possible file to open any thing I right click. E.g. files that do not have an associated application. Notepad will show me the raw file where TextEdit won't.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Jun 26, 2013 10:41 PM

10 replies

Jun 26, 2013 10:47 PM in response to Tim St.Clair

I don't have an answer to your specific question but another way of doing this is to select one of the files you want to open in notepad. Then right-click on it and select 'Get Info'. In the get info window look for 'open with'. Select your notepad application.

If you want all those file types to be opened with notepad from now on then click the 'Change all" button. Now all those files will open in notepad by default and you would have to right-click it to open it in textEdit or any other app.

Hope that helps.

Jun 26, 2013 11:03 PM in response to jayv.

TextWranger seems to process the file, like textedit does, and it doesn't show the file properly. Notepad doesn't do anything to it, so you get to see the raw file, which is the point to what I'm trying to do. If I can get notepad to open it, then I can also get a hexeditor to open it the same way (once I find one to my liking). But I can't get notepad into the list.

File extension: No, what you are seeing in the screenshot is the filename. It's a guid, and it's a disk cache file for a database-based file system. I need to poke around in them by hand in order to debug some problems, and I can narrow down the files with content searching, but opening them for tweaking/editing is a pain with the steps I have to jump through.

Jun 26, 2013 11:10 PM in response to Tim St.Clair

I see. I am out of ideas then, someone else will come along that might give you an actual solution. Without an extension OS X can not tie an app to a filetype as without an extension it doesn't know what the filetype is. Your original question would be the best solution indeed. For files like that i keep my preferred application in the dock and i just drop the file(s) on the icon to open it, may be a bit faster than right clicking.

Jun 27, 2013 7:57 AM in response to Tim St.Clair

In order to add "Open with Notepad" to your list I would recommend to use the Automator Service.

Open /Applications/Automator.app and select create a new Service:

User uploaded file

Set "Service receives selected files or folders in any application":

User uploaded file

Then from the Library, select Utilities and double-click Run Shell Script.

Set "Pass input as arguments" and write the following text :

if [ -f "$1" ] ; then

open -a "Notepad" "$1"

fi

User uploaded file

Finally Save service as "Open with Notepad"

Now you can right-click and "Open with Notepad" will appear on your list.

User uploaded file

add app to "open with"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.