Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will I damage / overheat my macbook pro if I only use it in clamshell mode?

The discussion title is pretty much all I have to say - Will I damage / overheat my macbook pro (15" non retina) if I only use it in clamshell mode?

It's connected to a cinema display, and has a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

It's stood upright in a very expensive stand, built specifically to hold the Macbook, which I bought from an apple store.

Ideally I would like to keep it closed most of the time, and just use the cinema screen when I'm at my desk (80% of it's use).

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 27, 2013 5:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2013 5:25 AM

If a machine supports clamshell mode, it's designed not to overheat in that mode. Of course, there are ways you could make it overheat, like covering it up so it can't cool itself... But it sounds like you're not doing anything like that, so you should be okay.

5 replies

Mar 1, 2014 10:55 AM in response to Andyonline

I wouldn't recommend it. I noticed that my mid-2009 MacBook Pro seriously overheats when used in clamshell mode (the CPU fan runs at full speed). It cools off in a matter of minutes (1-2) when I open it up again, so I'm pretty sure it's the closed-screen-use that is responsible for all this accumated heat...

A big disapointment for me.

Sincerely,

Antoine

Mar 1, 2014 12:11 PM in response to Andyonline

I run in clamshell mode 95% of the time and while the external monitor itself seems to heat up, I can detect no noticeable difference in my MacBook Pro temps - whilst running various Adobe CC apps, Windows under parallels, etc., my temps usually stay right around 150ºF with fans at about 3200rpms.

So I don't have a problem with staying in clamshell mode - you shouldn't either.

Clinton

Will I damage / overheat my macbook pro if I only use it in clamshell mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.