Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

core storage is unable to begin volume reversion

Hello there.

I have an external hard drive, and in finder I right clikced it to encrypt it.

Now I am trying to decrpyt it by opening it up in finder and its gives me Core Storage is unable to begin volume reversion error or sometimes : Unable to decrypt the Core Storage logical volume

I tried decrypting it in finder, in disk utlities, I tried earsing the hd completly, and multiple restarts on my computer.

My hd is pretty much useless at this point. I cannot view my content stored on that drive, copy or paste anything on and to that drive. It takes a long time for the content to load into the drive also before I can see it.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Jun 27, 2013 7:17 AM

3 replies

Sep 27, 2013 9:25 AM in response to arcadiomac

I am having the same problem on the internal hard drive of my iMac on OS X 10.8.5. My computer is experiencing various issues so I wanted to run features of some utilities (i.e. Tech Tools Pro 6 & Disk Warrior) that cannot be utilized when FileVault is turned on. It is my start-up drive and I'm using an administrator account. I have approximately 18% free disk space on the drive.

Mar 20, 2015 2:45 PM in response to arcadiomac

I also have the same issue. In my case the system hangs during normal login, and stays there forever in about 40% of login progress. I am not able to access any file, or do anthing in the Mac Book pro.

I have Yosemite 10.10.2 installed.

I went into safemode and tried to turn off filevault, in attempts of fixing the hang. But I get "Core Storage is unable to begin volume reversion". Anyone any ideas on how to fix this and turn off filevault successfully?

core storage is unable to begin volume reversion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.