Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to "reboot" my iMac. Cant log in, profile account file(s) problably missing

I was deleting some applications etc. on my iMac when the screen suddenly toned down

and a message said that i had to restart the computer (by holding the power-button).

After that I cant log onto my account. This message pops up;

"You are unable to log in to the FileVault user account "daniel" at this time.

Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred"

So I guess that I must have managed to delete some file that belonged to the "daniel profile".

This is mainly a problem since this is the only account on the computer with no Guest-

account activated either. Since their is no option to create a new account at the start-up

dashboard... well.. you see my problem.

So what I have done so far is to try a Safe Boot. The support page here on this site said

that this will include a automatic disc check and repair.. However Im not sure if that

worked at all because i still had to (try) to log onto the Daniel profile which didnt work.

And no difference was made after restarting again.

I have no Mac OS X Install Disc avaliable at the moment, hopefully its still around somewhere.

Since i didnt live where I live now when i got the iMac its problably in my former home

(parents).. Not an option right at this very moment.

So instead i am now moving on to the Single User Mode and Fsck. I write the

whole /sbin/fsck -fy and i do get a FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED message (one time),

even goes for some more rounds just in case.

I reboot but the problem is still there.

So instead i tried to create another user through the Fsck with

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

Which take me to the initial set-up screen however i can now not pass the

screen where you choose language (i click a language and the screen goes black

for a sec and then it turns back to the language screen again)

So i do "rm /var/db/.applesetupdone" and is now back to where i started..

Im thinking that maybe deleting the user ("rm - R /users/username") would

be something that might work.. but then again i dont know..

Also im starting to think that some of the problem is in that i changed the account username

it says "Namn" at the login screen but as i wrote "Namn" cant be find in the system,

but the old one "(Daniel") does.

... Any ideas? Is there anything I can do? Will the CD work? If i dont find the CD can i get another one?

Does your average computer store has knowledge about things like these?

iMac

Posted on Jun 27, 2013 8:53 AM

1 reply

Jun 27, 2013 1:03 PM in response to Bessestad

Apple Store should be able to help, I doubt just any computer store will know how.

Tough without the Install disc, but some things to try...

Does it boot to Single User Mode, CMD+s keys at bootup, if so try...

/sbin/fsck -fy

Repeat until it shows no errors fixed.

(Space between fsck AND -fy important).

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

If account was renamed that won't be good at all.

Do you have a Backup?

I need to "reboot" my iMac. Cant log in, profile account file(s) problably missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.