Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i purchased my laptop used. THe apple care is still good until mid July. How do i extend it? Can i change the existing one to my name?

Can i transfer the existing apple care to my name on a used laptop? the plan is still go until mid July

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 27, 2013 8:12 AM

2 replies

Jun 29, 2013 7:45 AM in response to georg102102

Hello George,

Congratulations on your new MacBook Pro! If you would like the MacBook Pro and AppleCare registered under your name and Apple ID, you can add the MacBook Pro's serial number to your Support Profile on the Apple Website:

My Support Profile

https://supportprofile.apple.com

You can also contact Apple to update this:

Contact us to consolidate your AppleCare agreements under your preferred Apple ID

If you still don't see a registered agreement, or if you find that your agreement is registered under another Apple ID and you want everything consolidated, you'll need to contact us.

Please have the following information handy when you contact Apple:

• The AppleCare Protection Plan Registration number
  • The serial number of the Apple product to be covered by the AppleCare Protection Plan
  • Your preferred Apple ID and the Apple IDs you no longer wish to use
  • A copy of the original sales receipt of your Apple hardware product and the AppleCare Protection Plan
  • See Contacting Apple for the phone number for your region

You can find the full article here:

How to manage your AppleCare agreements

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE50

The AppleCare Protection Plan can only be purchased once:

What is the AppleCare Protection Plan?

The AppleCare Protection Plan is an integrated service and support plan that is backed by Apple and extends the complimentary coverage on your Apple product. The AppleCare Protection Plan for your Mac or Apple display extends your complimentary coverage to three years from your Mac or Apple display purchase date. The AppleCare Protection Plan for your iPad, iPhone, iPod, or Apple TV extends your complimentary coverage to two years from your iPad, iPhone, iPod, or Apple TV purchase date.

You can find the full article here:

AppleCare FAQ

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

If you would like to see if you are eligible to purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan, you can enter your Serial Number on the following page:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

Jun 29, 2013 8:07 AM in response to georg102102

Can I transfer the existing apple care to my name on a used laptop? The plan is still good until mid July.

Yes you can, but for a mere week or two it seems practically worthless endeavor unless you know for sure there is a factory hardware defect with the machine.

Apple will do a free hardware evaluation at their stores regardless and if there is a problem that is covered by the AppleCare then I would expedite the transfer of AppleCare and turn the machine in for repair at the same time as to get under the two week window and into the system before the clock runs out.

When a new machine is purchased from Apple there is a one year warranty on factory related issues, that can be extended to a total of three years from the date of purchase of the brand new machine.

So once the machine is over 3 years old, it's coverage can't be extended any further and any repairs are user out of pocket in a lot of cases, unless it's once of the those machines that Apple extends special circumstances for and that is usually four years from date of purchase and regardless of warranty or AppleCare status.

This is why it's imporatnt to take it to a Apple Store for a free evaluation right away, you might have one of the special circumstance/defective models that Apple will fix for free for four years.

i purchased my laptop used. THe apple care is still good until mid July. How do i extend it? Can i change the existing one to my name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.