Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will time machine do a full backup of external volume (extra storage) after new logic board?

I have a MacBook Pro running leopard, that just had the logic board replaced. I haven't picked it up yet, but I am told that my hard drive and data were not touched.

I have read Pondini's very helpfull info/site, so I know that time machine will want to start a new set of backups.

Here is my question, based on my setup: in addition to the internal HD, I have a firewire drive for additional storage of files. Time machine backs up both volumes to another, larger, FireWire drive

Now, after the new logic board, will time machine make a whole new copy of the external storage drive as well as the internal? Or just the internal?

Basically, I know time machine will think it's on a new machine, but will it treat the external storage as if it were new as well?

I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Thanks. 🙂

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.6), Time Capsule 500 GB, iPod Nano 2G, iPod Touch 2G

Posted on Jun 27, 2013 11:21 AM

1 reply

Will time machine do a full backup of external volume (extra storage) after new logic board?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.