Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to help my desktop computer?

Hi everyone,

My issue is concerning my desktop computer at work. I'm not very technical, so please bare with me.

It's an Apple, Mac desktop computer from anywhere between 2009 to 2011 (I'm not sure how to tell). It's running the Mac OS X version 10.6.8 with a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 of memory.

I thought maybe it was getting slow because it was running out of space, so I purchased a large external hard drive to backup all of my files on. Now I only have current things I need on the computer while everything else remains on the external hard drive. It has up 500 GB of storage with currently 223 GB available.

I've been noticing that the computer has been having trouble over the last few weeks running some programs. I don't use very many programs on here, I tend to stick with the following:

- Adobe CS6 Master Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Dream Weaver)

- Adobe Acrobat Professional

- iMovie

- FileZilla

- Microsoft Word

- FireFox

- Safari

I do have many more programs on the computer, but I barely use them (if ever).

It rarely crashes, but I get the "colour/pin wheel of death" a lot, things take forever to open, and/or they just freeze for minutes at a time.

Is there anything I can do to help my poor computer? I love this thing. I would be the best thing in the world if I could help it live a healthy life (lol) 😍. I'm hoping there is something I can do for it.

You guys have really helped me out the last couple of times I had issues. I decided to come here instead of Google because who would know better than the Apple community!

P.S. thanks to you guys my MacBook Pro could not be better! Thank you for always helping with my silly problems *high five*

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Work Computer

Posted on Jun 27, 2013 1:22 PM

11 replies

Jun 27, 2013 1:27 PM in response to nicole27

1. Start Disk Utility, click on your hrd drive icon and check the SMART status that is reported in the lower part of the window. Anything other than Verified indicates a hard drive problem.

2. Start Activity Monitor and leave it running while you use your computer for daily use. After a good period of use take a look at the Memory tab and see if Pageouts exceed Pageins. If they do you could use more ram.

3. Try a Safe Boot to see if that clears anything up http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

Jun 27, 2013 3:04 PM in response to nicole27

From how close your reply was to my post I can tell you haven't run Activity Monitor for a long enough period. I think if you do you'll see that you don' have enough ram. Snow Leopard will run fine in 4gb but you use some pretty heavy applications. Use activity monitor for at least a few hours to get a real feel for what's going on.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1342

Jun 27, 2013 3:14 PM in response to nicole27

Based on everything you have told us, Without a doubt, you need a lot more RAM installed in your iMac.

OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard can, at times, use up the full 4 GBs of RAM, for. itself, alone.

Your model iMac can take, a total of 16 GBs of RAM.

My advice is to install the max. 16 GBs of RAM.

Correct and reliable Mac RAM can be purchased from online Mac RAM sources Crucial memory or OWC (macsales.com).

RAM is user installable and very easy to do for beginning or novice computer users or novice computer upgraders.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3918

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=XjU_NQh6e1k&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXjU_NQh6e1 k

Good Luck!

Jul 3, 2013 12:30 PM in response to SeaPapp

Oh okay, whoops. I didn't realize I was supposed to let it run for a while. I figured because the computer had been on all day it would give the reading you were looking for. My apologies! I have no idea what I'm doing in that aspect.

I will let it run for a while and see what the outcome is. I am going to look into getting more RAM for this computer 🙂

Thank you again!

Is there a way to help my desktop computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.