Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling OS X Mountain Lion without Apple ID

I'm selling my Macbook Pro Retina. It originally came with Lion but I was given a free download of Mountain Lion to my Apple account since it was due out near the time of my laptop purchase. I have just erased the hard drive and would like to reinstall Mountain Lion for the person who purchases my laptop. I am unable to reinstall ML without an Apple ID. Since I am going to sell it I don't want to put any of my information on the laptop.

If I put in my Apple ID will they be able to recover it? Maybe I can change my Apple ID password after I install OS X so they couldn't access my account? Is there any way to reinstall without a password? Or do I just have to let the buyer purchase it themselves? Totally lost.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 12:27 AM

When you sell your computer, you MUST reformat the drive (in your case, the flash storage) and install the version of OS X that originally shipped with your computer.

See Thomas Reed's How to prepare your Mac for sale.

Good luck,

Clinton

2 replies

Reinstalling OS X Mountain Lion without Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.