Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stream to airport express with a Rotel ra-10 amp

Hi

I'm actually straming via iTunes from my mbp to an Airport Express. Thr AE is connected to a Rotel RA 10 with NO optical input. How can I improve the sound quality ? Should I buy a DAC ? If yes which one would be an economic (< 100 €) choice and how does the setup work ? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 3:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 9:36 AM

I use the Audioengine D1. It's relatively inexpensive for a 24 bit Dac and sounds great. But I use it between my iMac and Audioengine A5+ speakers. From computer to speakers the sound difference is huge. I can not say if it would be a big difference connected to your Rotel.

Here's the setup link to the Audioengine D1 with screenshot below.

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2013 9:36 AM in response to tago

I use the Audioengine D1. It's relatively inexpensive for a 24 bit Dac and sounds great. But I use it between my iMac and Audioengine A5+ speakers. From computer to speakers the sound difference is huge. I can not say if it would be a big difference connected to your Rotel.

Here's the setup link to the Audioengine D1 with screenshot below.

User uploaded file

Jul 4, 2013 2:05 AM in response to tago

I ended up buying a cheap FIIO D03K DAC http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000027553125&MenuID=105026003 even if I'm not sure if this is any better than the built in AE's DAC.

Just two more questions:

1) Is there a way in iTunes 11 to disable the volume control for external speakers ? I'd like to control the volume only on the amp. If my memory doesn't trick me I think there was some kind of option in older iTunes versions

2) Is it better to connect the DAC to the amp with a Y shaped line out to RCA cable or directly with a pair of RCA cables ? I'm using the second option.

Jul 4, 2013 2:16 AM in response to tago

iTunes is supporting 24/192 music, however, if you try to play it via airport express, it will down sampling it to16/44.1.

In order to improve the sound quality, some audiophiles like to add a third party software on the top of iTunes :

1. Pure Music

2. Audiravana Plus

3. Amarra

4. Bit Perfect

You can have a free trial before you purchase.

1) Is there a way in iTunes 11 to disable the volume control for external speakers ? I'd like to control the volume only on the amp. If my memory doesn't trick me I think there was some kind of option in older iTunes versions

With the above 3rd party software, Yes you can

2) Is it better to connect the DAC to the amp with a Y shaped line out to RCA cable or directly with a pair of RCA cables ? I'm using the second option.

Many people can't hear the differnce, but some do, as they prefer to use a pair of good RCA cables

Stream to airport express with a Rotel ra-10 amp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.