Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can multiple Mac users have the same iTunes?

I have a MacBook, and my wife and I have separate accounts on it. It's easier that way for separate Facebook accounts, email, etc. However, it's complicated when it comes to iTunes and applications. We both want to use the same iTunes library. We have iTunes Match, but I'd rather not re-download my entire library when it's already on my computer just so we both have access to it. I tried following the directions at this article, but it didn't work. So, how can both my wife and I, from different accounts on the same Mac (and using the same Apple ID) access the same iTunes library and have any changes reflected on both accounts?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 9:13 AM

9 replies

Jun 28, 2013 9:27 AM in response to jsbmhca_717

If you want everything the same - content, playlists, ratings, number of plays, etc - to be the same for both of you, drag the entire iTunes folder, the one that contains the iTunes library files as well as the iTunes Media folder, to a shared location such as the Public folder. Then for each of you, hold down the Option key and launch iTunes. You'll be given the option to locate your iTunes library. Navigate to and select the iTunes folder in its new location.

Regards.

Jun 29, 2013 6:51 AM in response to ffiti

I dragged it into the Shared folder under users. I went to permissions for the iTunes folder and changed it to "Read & Write" for everyone. Still didn't work. I started looking at all of the folders within the iTunes folder, and all of them still say "Read Only." The problem is that there are a bajillion folders and items in there. Do I need to individually and manually change each one? Apple needs a simpler and automated way to do this.

Jun 29, 2013 9:37 PM in response to jsbmhca_717

Obviously, if you just need to copy those iTunes folders, you don't need the ability to write; just the ability to read, which you already have.

Besides, the /Users/Shared folder is indeed an excellent location for a shared iTunes library; I hadn't yet considered that. Ignore all the above instructions. First, make sure your two iTunes libraries are in sync. Use an external hard drive (or mess with permissions) to do what copying you need to. Then go into iTunes and iTunes>Preferences...>Advanced and change the iTunes Media folder location to /Users/Shared. All of your iTunes content should be copied (or moved) into /Users/Shared.

After that, do the same thing in the other account, and both your iTunes libraries will now be pointed to the same location.

Jun 30, 2013 8:15 AM in response to ffiti

Nope, that didn't work either. Seriously, though. This should be much simpler. Thanks for your help thus far, guys!

ffiti, I don't want to have to have two copies of everything in my iTunes. That would waste dozens of GBs. I just want both of our iTunes to draw from the same folder.

varjak paw, I tried your directions but the permissions won't let me do it on my wife's account.

Jun 30, 2013 10:08 AM in response to jsbmhca_717

This isn't "simple" because this wasn't something iTunes was intended to do. Like I'm saying, you can probably work around it, but you'd be using brute force.

Did you even read what I told you to do? Read it carefully and do exactly as it says. I never said to keep two copies of your iTunes content. Change your iTunes Media folder location to /Users/Shared. What exactly didn't work?

Mar 19, 2014 9:04 AM in response to ffiti

When changing permissions as described above: First, open the security lock, then change the privilege to "Read & write". Then click the gear icon and select "Apply to enclosed items". This propagates the privilege setting throughout the folder structure.
I did not play with adding music and so on yet, but I did gain access to the library across user profiles.

Jul 29, 2014 9:00 PM in response to jsbmhca_717

I was able to share the iTunes folder between multiple users as suggested by moving the iTunes folder out of the user directory, and right to the root of the disk in my case. Permissions did have to be adjusted.

As root I did something like:

# find /iTunes -exec chmod g+w {} \;

This seems to work as long as you are good about quitting iTunes in Account 1 before you try to open it from Account 2.

I also did not try adding music or managing the library at this point, so YMMV.

How can multiple Mac users have the same iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.