Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck In Recovery Mode

My sister has a 4th gen. ipod touch. Since she got it, she never set up itunes on her computer. She's used my itunes to put music and videos manually onto her ipod. I have my own itouch that's synched with that itunes though. She asked me to put music on before she goes on vacation and when we plugged her ipod in, it popped up about updating to IOS 6.1. She told me she couldn't update the IOS from her ipod because it wouldn't let her so I clicked to run the update on the computer. We did not back up her ipod because I did not want her back up to overwrite my own ipod's back up. It was updating fine but then it said there was an error with the update. I wanted to try a second time to see if it would work but then the ipod got stuck in recovery mode and the only option it's giving me is to restore it. She doesn't want to lose her data because she does not have it backed up anyway and she wanted to know if there was an alternative to getting it out of recovery mode without losing the data before having to restore it. We tried to get it out of recovery mode with the Home and Sleep buttons but that didn't work.

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 9:28 AM

1 reply

Jun 28, 2013 9:34 AM in response to kwonlee

The iPod is already erased. Therefore, just restore the iPod. If you get an error message see:

iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting

or come back here with the wording of the message

You can redownload iTunes purchases by:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

For the future, backing up her iPod o your computer will not overwrite the backup of your iPod.

On your computer go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices and see if there is a backup of here iPod.

If you restore from iTunes backup the apps and music have to be in the iTunes library since synced media like apps and music are not included in the backup of the iOS device that iTunes makes.

Stuck In Recovery Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.