Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini poor monitor resolution

I bought my mac mini today. I connected using the DisplayPort <-> VGA cable to my HP LP2065 monitor. I have been using this monitor for my Windows XP which used to give me 1600x1200 resolution.

But with Mac mini I only get maximum reolution of 1400x1050, which is low and the whole experience of Mac is poor.

I have used the same monitor with various version of Linux flavours. But normally I get it working after installing some NVIDIA drivers. Is there similar thing in Mac world?

Thanks and Regards,

Janardan

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 10:56 AM

Were normally stuck with the graphic drivers Apple gives us, but the new Minis have Intel Graphics only...

Video Card:HD Graphics 4000VRAM Type:Integrated
Details:This model has an Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics processor that shares memory with the system.

Also see: What type of video system is provided by the Aluminum Mac mini models? Which are integrated and which are dedicated? Can the video be upgraded?
Standard VRAM:512 MB*Maximum VRAM:768 MB*
Display Support:Dual DisplaysResolution Support:1920x1200*
2nd Display Support:Dual/Mirroring*2nd Max. Resolution:2560x1600*
Details:*This model simultaneously supports 1920x1200 on an HDMI or a DVI display (using the included HDMI-to-DVI adapter) and 2560x1600 on a Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort display or even a VGA display (with an optional Mini DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter, which is compatible with the Thunderbolt port).

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i5-2.5-late-2 012-specs.html

No idea why you only get a low rez, could it be the cable?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2013 10:56 AM in response to janardanrevuru

Were normally stuck with the graphic drivers Apple gives us, but the new Minis have Intel Graphics only...

Video Card:HD Graphics 4000VRAM Type:Integrated
Details:This model has an Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics processor that shares memory with the system.

Also see: What type of video system is provided by the Aluminum Mac mini models? Which are integrated and which are dedicated? Can the video be upgraded?
Standard VRAM:512 MB*Maximum VRAM:768 MB*
Display Support:Dual DisplaysResolution Support:1920x1200*
2nd Display Support:Dual/Mirroring*2nd Max. Resolution:2560x1600*
Details:*This model simultaneously supports 1920x1200 on an HDMI or a DVI display (using the included HDMI-to-DVI adapter) and 2560x1600 on a Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort display or even a VGA display (with an optional Mini DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter, which is compatible with the Thunderbolt port).

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i5-2.5-late-2 012-specs.html

No idea why you only get a low rez, could it be the cable?

Jan 4, 2014 4:03 AM in response to janardanrevuru

18. What is the maximum resolution available for use with the Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter?

The resolution available with the Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter is 1920 x 1200. VGA displays that use higher refresh rates (such as 85 Hz) at resolutions of 1600 x 1200 or greater may not generate video properly until you lower the refresh rate.

from

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3382#15

mac mini poor monitor resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.