Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get iPhoto to refresh photo stream

If I take a photo on my iphone, it adds it to my photostream. MyiPad photostream updates within seconds automatically. But the photostream in iPhoto only updates when I quit iPhoto and restart it.

Is there a way to make photsteram in iPhoto on my Mac do an automatic regular refresh while it is still open?

I want this as I want all my photos I take while I am away to sync to my Mac photostream and then automatically import into iPhoto so they are all safe and backed up on my Mac and Timemachine even over the 30 days that photosteram keeps them And I want to leave ipoto switched on all the time I am away to faciltate this

But I need it to sync....

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Upgraded from SL to Mouantain Lion

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 12:06 PM

7 replies

Jun 28, 2013 3:22 PM in response to jhrichmond

My Photo Stream and auto import update without having to close and open my library. As a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Activate Photo Stream, take a couple of new photos and check to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

When you go back to your current library you'll need to reactivate Photo Stream in the iPhoto preferences.

However, I don't know if it will auto update if the Mac is in sleep mode so I'd turn of sleep in the System/Energy preference pane.

OT

Jun 28, 2013 4:34 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your reply OT

I did as you suggested and created a new test iPhoto library, choosing to set up photostream with my icloud account as prompted. The same thing happens. A new photo taken on my iphone appears within seconds on y ipad, but does not appear in photostream on my Mac until I close and reopen iPhoto.

Any suggestions as to how I can make mine work like yours?

Jun 28, 2013 5:17 PM in response to jhrichmond

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Disable, then re-enable Photo Stream in iPhoto's settings. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard (command-C). Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

Then click Clear Display again. Quit and relaunch iPhoto. Post the messages that appear.

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Jun 29, 2013 1:33 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc

Here are the messages

First - the messages that appear when I deactivate and then reacivate photostream in iphoto.

29/06/2013 09:29:53.757 WDQuickView[67857]: Updating service information

29/06/2013 09:29:55.256 WDQuickView[67857]: No Error with getting xmlDoc for URL http://192.168.0.14/api/1.0/rest/firmware_update?&owner=admin&pw=...(null)

And here is what appears when I stop and start iphoto:

29/06/2013 09:30:53.754 WDQuickView[67857]: Updating service information

29/06/2013 09:30:55.265 WDQuickView[67857]: No Error with getting xmlDoc for URL http://192.168.0.14/api/1.0/rest/firmware_update?&owner=admin&pw=...(null)

29/06/2013 09:31:01.360 librariand[72308]: MMe quota status changed: under quota

29/06/2013 09:31:07.852 WindowServer[67738]: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "iPhoto" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.

29/06/2013 09:31:10.107 WindowServer[67738]: reenable_update_for_connection: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "iPhoto" after 3.26 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

Jun 29, 2013 9:02 AM in response to jhrichmond

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.
The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, or by a peripheral device.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain iMacs. The next normal boot may also be somewhat slow.
The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jul 1, 2013 11:54 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc

Weirdly, when I got to my Mac tonight to try your suggestion, I found that photostream was working as it should. So my problem seems to have gone away!

Now with iPhoto open, and kept open, any photo i take with my iphone appears in the photo stream on the Mac within minutes - GREAT. No idea why it started working now....

Also - and to my pleasured surprise, I have found that if I have iPhoto closed, and then take two photos on my iphone, and then delete one of them BEFORE opening iPhoto, when I then do open iPhoto, the undeleted photo is there in photostream and the deleted photo is not - as you would expect. But the deleted photo does exist in my "july photo stream" album. i.e. it get copied into this album even with iphoto being closed. How good is that !

Thanks for your help trying to diagnose my problem. I will report back if it occurs again!

How do I get iPhoto to refresh photo stream

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.