Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying a new iPad and sharing with an existing old Verizon's iPhone 4S?

Hello.

My client is interested in buying a new Apple iPad (one of the latest models). He currently already has a 13.3" MacBook Pro (2012 and Mac OS X 10.8.4) and a few years old iPhone 4S with his Verizon carrier (2 GB for 3G and phone). Will he be able to buy a new iPad from anywhere and hook it up with this existing Verizon account? Or does he have to get an iPad from Verizon directly (e.g., a local store) to set up? It looks like Verizon's iPads use LTE and not 3G from the demos in an always crowded/BUSY local store (couldn't wait long even after 8:30 PM PDT).

Thank you in advance. 🙂

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 13.3" MacBook Pro (9,2/MD102ll/A)

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 10:37 AM

He would need to purchase a Verizon-model iPad, though it doesn't matter where in the US he purchases it. Verizon-model iPads (other than the iPad 2) use either CDMA or LTE, depending on the service provided in the particular area.

Whether he can use any iPad with his existing account will depend on his specific plan. He'll need to talk to Verizon about that.

Regards.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2013 10:37 AM in response to antdude

He would need to purchase a Verizon-model iPad, though it doesn't matter where in the US he purchases it. Verizon-model iPads (other than the iPad 2) use either CDMA or LTE, depending on the service provided in the particular area.

Whether he can use any iPad with his existing account will depend on his specific plan. He'll need to talk to Verizon about that.

Regards.

Jun 28, 2013 10:40 AM in response to varjak paw

varjak paw wrote:

Regards.

Ah thanks. So, he won't be able to switch to another carrier like T-Mobile, Spring, AT&T, etc. as well. Wow.

Jun 28, 2013 10:49 AM in response to antdude

It has been reported that the Verizon iPad 3 (not available as new anymore) will work on AT&T and I have certainly used mine in Canada on Bell Aliant's GSM network. I believe that the same is true of the 4. So, I believe it is theortically possible to use a Verizon iPad on AT&T or TMobile. It won't work on Sprint. And not other iPads will work on Verizon.

All the carriers sell mobile hotspot devices which can also be used with iPads should your client later want to switch to a different carrier than the one his iPad wors on.

Jun 28, 2013 11:32 AM in response to antdude

antdude wrote:

Ah thanks. So, he won't be able to switch to another carrier like T-Mobile, Spring, AT&T, etc. as well. Wow.

Sorry, but that's not what you asked. You asked if he could by an iPad from anywhere and use it with Verizon. I said nothing about him not being able to use such an iPad with another carrier, since you didn't ask that.

Will he be able to buy a new iPad from anywhere and hook it up with this existing Verizon account?

A third or fourth generation Verizon-model iPad should be usable with another GSM carrier.

If so, then why need another data plan if iPad uses iPhone 4S' 3G data plan?

Again, it depends on his iPhone plan with Verizon. The plan would have to explicly allow for sharing of the data account between more than one device, or the plan has to include Personal Hotspot, and they normally charge extra for either option. If his plan does allow one or the other option (or both), or he can sign up for it, then he would not need a separate plan for the iPad. In the case of using the iPhone as a Personal Hotspot, he really wouldn't need a cell-model iPad at all unless he wants GPS or to retain the possibility of having it connect separately to the cell network in the future.

Regards.

Buying a new iPad and sharing with an existing old Verizon's iPhone 4S?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.