Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just a suggestion

I've been using apple products for a while now. More like 5 years and I have never had a problem with anything. But, I do have to point out that battery life on some devices seems to shrink when being over-charged. May I suggest some sort of button or automatic shut-off from power? I, like many others, like to charge my phone, or whatever other device, while I sleep. I hate having to worry about my device being damaged because of it being plugged in for so long and having to wake up just to disconnect it. I have also noticed that my iPhone 5 heats up when it's charging for long periods of time and the battery isn't even full yet. I just recently purchased it, and it's starting to worry me. I had no such problem with the iPhone 4s. I'm saying that extending battery life should also mean protecting the Battery. I love all apple products and am a great fan of them, but for nearly 1 Grand I had expected more from the iPhone 5. Maybe for future products this will be an option to consider?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 10:50 AM

8 replies

Jun 28, 2013 11:30 AM in response to Gustavo103

It is impossible to over charge any Apple device. They all have built in over charge protection - once the battery is charged, charging stops and does not resume until the battery as lost about 5%-10% of full charge (which normally takes many hours in a healthy battery sitting idle).

I leave my iPhone and iPad plugged in overnight and sometimes longer periods and have never had an issue with any of them. Similarly, my Apple laptops also stay plugged in for hours or days at a time, without any harm or damage to their batteries at all.

If your device is generating excessive heat while charging, that indicates a potential fault or problem and you should take it to an Apple store and get it checked out.

But again, you cannot overcharge a properly working iPhone or iPad, and it has never been necessary to unplug them once fully charged.

In fact, I think you would be hard pressed to find any smart Lithium battery powered electronics these days that does not have built in over charge protection features - from electronic toothbrushes to smart phones tablets and laptops. This sort of feature is an essential standard these days.

Just a suggestion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.