Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule finding plugged in usb drive

I've got a new time capsule and have plugged in a USB drive into the USB slot. It's the drive I used to use as a time machine and external drive, which I now wish to use just as a wireless external drive. It is a partitioned drive with Mac OS journaled on two of three partitions (the old time machine, the external drive) and the last partition was used as an external drive for Windows files.

I've gone into Airport Utility and under the Disks tab I have ticked 'share disks over WAN' box. I can see all three partitions in the box above but they don't appear in Finder. I am able to back up my existing Aperture vault wirelessly, so I know it's connected and working, but I can't access them it directly in Finder. Any ideas?

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 1:40 PM

Use the Connect to Server command in the Finder's Go menu, and check the settings in the General and Sidebar tabs of the Finder's preferences. You may also need to connect the drive through a powered USB hub.

(84808)

4 replies

Jun 28, 2013 2:02 PM in response to Niel

Thanks - the Connect to Server helped, typing in the IP address shown in Airport Utility. I can see the Mac drives and the time capsule drive which is what I'm after (but not the Windows drive). I had to drag the drive into the left tab of the Finder window to keep it there, but it's now there every time I open Finder, which is what I'm after.

Could I gain 'better' access to this USB drive wirelessly? Disk utility can't find it - I was going to remove the old time machine partition on the external USB. If I plugged the disk straight into the computer I could do that, but I wondered whether I could get the same level of access without having to remove it from the time capsule

Time capsule finding plugged in usb drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.