Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've spent 100's of dollars on apps, and cannot download them again after a restore, because of the random requirement of iOS 4.3 for app updates.

I am extremely angry. I've spent HUNDREDS of dollars on apps from iTunes for my iPod Touch 2nd Generation since 2009. I've been a very happy Apple customer, until now. I've heard from an apps' description that EVERY app update has to have a minimum of iOS 4.3. This angers me because the iPod Touch 2nd Generation can only get up to iOS 4.2.1. I DEMAND ALL of my money back, Apple. I was given NO notice of the event, or any relief. I am not going to pay $19.00 plus tax to talk to some "online agent". Please get this complaint to the top of the list so Apple can see it.

iPod touch (2nd generation), iOS 4.2

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 3:38 PM

3 replies

Jun 28, 2013 3:43 PM in response to Angry2ndGenUser

As you found out many developers when they updated their apps to support iOS 5 and 6 dropped compatibility for iOS 4.2.1 and earlier.

Your only way is if you have the version that was compatible on your computer such as in the recycle bin/trash or in a computer file backup. In that case delete the current version that is in your iTunes App library and replace it with the older version. Then sync.

Jun 28, 2013 5:35 PM in response to Angry2ndGenUser

Angry2ndGenUser wrote:

I am extremely angry.

I'm right there with you. When you buy Android apps from your PC, it won't even let you get incompatible apps. There's no reason iTunes on a Mac or PC shouldn't do the same.

But I do want to make one correction (and I've been doing a lot of reading on this). Developers can make new and updated apps which are compatible with the 2nd generation iPods. Here's an example of a free application which is laelled "optimized for iPhone 5" and which was updated May 6, 2013.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/caltrainme/id505787730?mt=8

(I'm not advocating this particular app, just showing that developers can support legacy users if they choose to do so).

I've spent 100's of dollars on apps, and cannot download them again after a restore, because of the random requirement of iOS 4.3 for app updates.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.