Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I convert winmail.dat file so i can read it?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 5:26 PM

12 replies

Jun 30, 2013 4:49 PM in response to Templeton Peck

What I found was you telling people that it has been asked and answered already, or others' information on how to tell the sender to send in plain text. Neither one of those answers helped me. What I finally found out while digging all by myself, before I finally asked the question in case this one single comment that no one else ever mentioned, was:

The easiest way to read a winmail.dat file is to pick it up directly in Gmail.

Couldn't you have maybe mentioned that? And, maybe listed a few apps for the MAC that would convert it? I never saw a useful answer from you.

Jun 30, 2013 5:03 PM in response to BlondieTurner

BlondieTurner wrote:

Couldn't you have maybe mentioned that?

No, because I don't use Gmail, and I have learned a little self reliance over the years. So a simple Google search for "open winmail.dat file mac" or a search of these forums before posting would suffice.

In fact, even one of Apple's top 5 items for Community Etiquette is to search before posting, so in essence I'm simply reiterating what Apple has already advised you to do:

https://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/etiquette.html

Jun 30, 2013 5:03 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Funny, I was sure I was supposed to be careful opening applications from unknown sources. I figured the Apple site would be safer.

The real problem here is that I still can not find anything useful from you in reply to this question when, in your own words, it "has been asked and answered dozens of times already." How about a simple link to an application that works and is trusted.

Thank you Kappy. You Rock !!!

Templeton, Your arrogance is not pretty. Take note from Kappy. Now, HE HELPED !!

Jun 30, 2013 5:24 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Again, please read my email. Searching is how I found the comment about using Gmail. I asked anyway because I was hoping for something just like Kappy sent. Now, he knows how to answer a simple question. No wonder he is a level 10 and you are just a 9. Being condescending to others is not what people should get when they ask a question on the forum. It is obvious that they are seeking help from the kind people that answer us. I have had Macs and iPhones and iPads for many years, and this is the very first question I ever asked. I had to even pick a user name. Therefore, I feel that I have been pretty self reliant. If you have a problem with people asking questions that you don't approve, maybe you shouldn't be here answering them. You obviously have forced negativity into my day, and there is simply no reason for that. Please be kinder to people, or simply keep quiet so as not to remind people that there are people like you out there.

Jun 30, 2013 5:26 PM in response to BlondieTurner

To Templeton,

Again, please read my email. Searching is how I found the comment about using Gmail. I asked anyway because I was hoping for something just like Kappy sent. Now, he knows how to answer a simple question. No wonder he is a level 10 and you are just a 9. Being condescending to others is not what people should get when they ask a question on the forum. It is obvious that they are seeking help from the kind people that answer us. I have had Macs and iPhones and iPads for many years, and this is the very first question I ever asked. I had to even pick a user name. Therefore, I feel that I have been pretty self reliant. If you have a problem with people asking questions that you don't approve, maybe you shouldn't be here answering them. You obviously have forced negativity into my day, and there is simply no reason for that. Please be kinder to people, or simply keep quiet so as not to remind people that there are people like you out there.

Jun 30, 2013 5:30 PM in response to BlondieTurner

BlondieTurner,

You have already had one of your posts removed. Don't shoot for more. You are being exceedingly rude and impolite. There is no need for the remarks you are making especially when Templeton is essentially correct. You could have found the links I posted by doing a Google search. That's how I found them many months ago when answering another one of these inquiries about winmail.dat files.

You may not like Templeton's style, but that's no reason to adopt the attitude you have. You have asked that he should be kinder, well you haven't shown him any kindness. Think about that.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.