Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iTunes restoring my deleted songs?

I haven't connected my iPhone to my computer in a little while, and within time, to free up memory, I have deleted songs. I have always had it set to NOT auto sync to my iPhone. I hate how controling iTunes is. Today, I connected it to my computer so I could transfer an mp3 and when I tried to transfer that one song, it started transfering over 300 songs to my iPhone. It fills up my memory, then tells me that it cannot transfer anymore songs, then I delete them, and it tries to transfer the songs again. I don't want these songs on my iPhone!!! I have clicked the cancel X, but when I try to copy the song again, it starts up transfering ALL songs again. How do I get iTunes to stop copying my whole library to my phone? It didn't used to do this before!

I don't like how iTunes has to sync automatically. I prefer telling IT what to do, not the other way around. iTunes is exactly what kept me from purchasing any apple products. Now, I ask myself, why did I give in to the iPhone? 😠

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 7:11 PM

34 replies

Jul 11, 2013 12:47 PM in response to BngBngShootShoot

When your iPhone is connected go to the music tab, make sure none of the check boxes to sync content are selected. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see if any manually added content is listed there. If you're manually removing tracks from the device iTunes may remember that you'd previously added them and "helpfully" try to restore them. Personally I sync with selected playlists and update these when the device isn't connected (an offline edit if you will) then I just connect the device and update when I'm ready.

tt2

Jul 27, 2013 4:19 AM in response to BngBngShootShoot

An iPhone can only be manually managed with a single library. If adding content at one library causes existing content on the device to be wiped then that suggests you've tried to use a different library to add content.

Sync with selected playlists does what it says. You set up some playlists in iTunes just the way you want, connect the device, sync, and the device gets your selection. Syncing has several advantages over manual management. Ratings & play counts get updated and it is much easier to restore the device when needed. If you create new playlists on the device they should be copied over iTunes. Edits to existing playlists I'm not so sure about. If needed I have a script called ImportDevicePlaylists which does what it says.

Unticking the checkboxes next to songs makes iTunes skip them during normal track-to-track or shuffle playback, and normally excludes them from sync operations. I use these to mark out bonus interview tracks and the like which I rarely want to hear but still keep in my library.

tt2

Message was edited by: turingtest2

Dec 16, 2013 4:09 PM in response to Dergefool

Same issues as well, and it's ******* me off. My iPhone is set to manually receive songs. Sometimes, when I add new songs, iTunes decides to add in any songs I deleted from the iPhone.

This is especially worse after adding in the discography of a band, then deleting off the songs I don't like. I've had to do that twice now because of this stupid error, adding in like 50 songs I've deleted.

This, along with the iTunes/iPhone music interface is turning me off. I think I'll just get a dedicated music player that isn't as restricted as Apple products.

I mean, I can't manually access the music in my iPhone from iTunes even with the manually access music option selected. What the f***? I can only delete music on the iPhone, and deleting songs one by one is time consuming.

Why is iTunes restoring my deleted songs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.