Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't I organize by filename and ignore everything else?

I'm going nuts here trying to find my exact question and an answer in these discussions. All I see is stuff like "Hey dummy, why would you want to do THAT???"

I want to be able to sort my itunes tracks/songs by FILENAME, not by the stupid irrelevant title that for some reason iTunes is displaying. I have thousands of podcasts that I got from another source, and they are all in my itunes library just under music, and not under podcasts. The actual filenames all make sense and are titled "examplepodcast1" "examplepodcast2" "examplepodcast3", etc., but all the podcast/song titles itunes displays are names related to the content of each individual podcast, like "bubbapodcast" "jimmypodcast" "gardeninginsocalif" etc. I have no interest at ALL in these titles, and I'm just interested in the filename! If I could sort by filename I could order my THOUSANDS of podcasts in the right order!! please help!!

itunes 10.2.1

iPod classic

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 10:44 PM

Nope.

5 replies

Jun 28, 2013 11:02 PM in response to username999

It is not possible to sort by file names in iTunes. iTunes only uses the embedded ID3 tags. However, if you are on OS X you might find this AppleScript helpful: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=filenamestosongnames.

It will copy the filenames to the tracknames for the podcasts. You also might want to change the Media Kind of the tracks from Music to Podcast.

Can't I organize by filename and ignore everything else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.