Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro overheating issues

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro 2012 (non-retina) display which has an SSD installed instead of a hard drive.

Sometimes I receive alot of heat from it.

I have on it installed iStat Menus 4, with which I monitor my system from.

At best my system's palm rest will be at ~30 degress celsius, but at worst it can shoot up to ~40.

My CPU takes alot of heat too.

It is a 2.5 Ghz Dual Core "Ivy Bridge" Core i5 CPU, which can generate up to 70+ degress celsius of heat.

I only ever run basic tasks such as web browsing, email, video calls and word processing, and the periodical iMovie making.

I have also ensure that all my software and everything on my Mac has been updated to the latest version.

Granted, most of my web browsing uses the infamous Flash Player, but if it is not required, I turn it off and use HTML5 to play videos.

Here is some information on my system:

• Mac OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion
  • 256GB SSD (OCZ Vector SSD with latest firmware)
  • 16GB RAM (DDR3 at 1600Mhz)
  • 2.5 Ghz dual core "Ivy Bridge" Core i5
  • Usually set to maximum brightness
  • Occasional DVD playing or ripping
  • Adobe Flash Player installed (latest version)
  • Java 7 and Java 6 runtime (for Minecraft) installed
  • Software always updated to latest version
  • Unobstructed vents (most of the time)
  • No case installed on it
  • Always shut down when not in use

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), SSD

Posted on Jun 28, 2013 5:42 PM

1 reply

Jun 28, 2013 6:29 PM in response to Iamawesome997

Unobstructed vents (most of the time)

Per your user manual: Do not operate your MacBook Pro on a pillow or other soft material, as the material can block the airflow vents. Never place anything over the keyboard when operating your MacBook Pro. Never push objects into the ventilation openings.

From MacBook Pro: Care, Use, and Safety Information

For prolonged use, place your MacBook Pro on a flat, stable surface. Do not place your MacBook Pro on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn.

User Tip: How to deal with MacBook Pro and MacBook heat?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro overheating issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.